Logo

Honda BF50A Can't start

bmousser

Well I'm back, the apprentice,

I was fishing when one of my 50's conked out on me. I made it in with one motor.
Upon doing the process of elimination, I ended up with not being able to start the motor. Let me tell what I did.

I checked gas flow by opening the carb bowl screw. Gas came out of each carb. So I know I have gas flow.
I even changed the fuel pump. I checked timing in case somehow the belt skipped.

When I crank the motor over it doesn't even give any indication that it wants to start. Like there is no spark. So I check the wire by cranking the motor and grounding the spark plug wire to the block. As I thought there is no spark.

Where do I go from here? Any help would be appreciated.

Simple things first. I assume you have a seperate kill switch on each motor. Disconnect and see if you get spark. (Sounds strange - but I had this happen to me on at least two occasions within the last two years.)

Kill switch? Can you tell me where to find this on the Honda 50? Sorry for the duh.. question but still learning more and more each day!

When the kill switch is activated, it grounds the ignition system, so no spark. Even if the clip is in the kill switch, they can go bad, so just disconnect it at the shift throttle, or consol, whereever it is, and see if you have spark on the plugs. Sometimes just pushing the switch back and forth several times will clean it up enough for it to work, but you don't know until you test it.

Well gang, I attached a spare wiring harness with key and kill switch that works. and still the same results. No spark. I spoke to a mechanic friend of mind Bob who works on various marine engines here in Hawaii and he indicated that his experience has been with replacing the CDI unit more than the kill switch in this kind of scenario. Any comments are welcome. I know that the CDI unit runs about 350.00 on Boats.net. I wanna make sure before I replace it that this is the problem. Again I welcome anymore advice from you experts.

Thanks again,

Before spending those kind of bucks, you need to find a Honda Marine dealer who has the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) computer. They can hook up to your engine and usually pinpoint the exact problem.

Back