Logo

Frozen water pump

adam_g

Contributing Member
"(7.4 L Bravo 1) This

"(7.4 L Bravo 1) This is weird. A month ago I flushed my engine. It started to run hot, probably from poor flow from the cuff, so I shut it down drained all of the plugs and hoses all the other stuff. I went back today, put the plugs and hoses back on, filled the block with AF and I was going to start it for a second to fog the engine. The water pump is siezed up TIGHT. I turned it off immediately. The water pump is easy enough to change but what happened? My boat is in a heated barn. The AF is just insurance if the heat goes out."

"Are you saying you saw ice, o

"Are you saying you saw ice, or it just didn't turn. It is possible you have a bad water pump bearing and thats why it didn't turn. It was locked in place because it hadn't been turned in awhile, and the bearing is bad so it locked up."

"No ice, heated barn. My expe

"No ice, heated barn. My experience with bearings are that they get noisy, loose and tear up the seal. The first sign of a bad bearing, unless you can hear it is a leak."

"It's almost as if when I

"It's almost as if when I opened up the thermostat houing to add antifreeze, a bolt or something fell into the impeller and jammed it. I guess taking it apart will solve the mystery."

"Your water pump seal seized f

"Your water pump seal seized from a lack of liquid. What you should have done was drain the block, then get anti-freeze in there soon as possible (to also prevent rust inside the motor).

Still, it's a bit weird!

Jeff"

Back