Logo

Is my BF50A just an anchor now?

upandatom

Hi guys.

I took my 1997 50hp Honda outboard out this past weekend, it was my first time using it as I just got the boat. Before taking it out, I put 'earmuffs' over the water intake, hooked up to my garden hose and started the motor in my driveway after checking the oil, sparks plugs and replaced the fuel filter. Engine started fine.

After I launched at the lake though, the engine never had any power, even throttled out it was barely more than trawling speed. After 3-5 minutes or so, white smoke started coming from the cover so I shut it down and got pulled back to shore. The feeling was kinda like building a huge house of cards and it topples over when you're adding the last one!

When I got it home and opened it up, the cylinder cover was warped due to the heat produced by the engine. I put the motor in gear and was able to manually turn the engine in a complete rotation, telling me the engine isn't seized. I took it in to a marine shop who said a new water pump and impeller are required, but my compression readings are 130/90/120. They say a new head gasket is probably required as well but wanted $250 to do a teardown to give me an accurate assessment.

How much work is required to fix this? Am I better off using this as an anchor now?

Thanks, any help is MUCH appreciated.

In our area, your motor would be worth $2500-$3000 in good running condition.
I wouldn't scrap it, but I believe you are in for a hefty repair bill unless you know some
good wrenches that will work for cheap !
worst scenario is a "hydrolocked "cylinder causing damage to the piston
and maybe the crank shaft,bearings etc.
In that case the cost of parts and labor could outweigh the value of the motor.

Last edited:
In our area, your motor would be worth $2500-$3000 in good running condition.
I wouldn't scrap it, but I believe you are in for a hefty repair bill unless you know some
good wrenches that will work for cheap !
worst scenario is a "hydrolocked "cylinder causing damage to the piston
and maybe the crank shaft,bearings etc.
In that case the cost of parts and labor could outweigh the value of the motor.

If I could find this motor for $3000 I'd probably buy it and sell the one I have for scrap, but I can't find anything even close for that kind of dough. Thanks for the reply!

Not that it matters, but on my favorite parts site, I can't find a 50hp made it 1997. I was trying to figure out what an engine rebuild (parts-wise) would look like.

Not that it matters, but on my favorite parts site, I can't find a 50hp made it 1997. I was trying to figure out what an engine rebuild (parts-wise) would look like.

Thanks freeport. I'm not sure why this is listed in the 'pre-1997' section, and I'm not sure if mine is a bf50A LRA or a bf50A LRTA or what, but it says bf50A right on my motor and this cylinder head looks exactly the same as mine. For rough estimate purposes it's better than nothing. I'd really appreciate your opinion!

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/0/BF50A LRTA /CYLINDER HEAD/parts.html

The valve cover warped because of the heat?? As the teenage girls say these days...EWWWWWW!
If it got that hot, it may not be much worth trying to patch back together. I will guarantee you that it will take more than a water pump and head gasket to make it reliable after that.

It sounds as if the guy that sold it to you did a patch job already that would mask what he needed to hide in order to sell it.

Sorry to hear your having that sort of trouble.

Here in Ontario it is getting difficult to find shops that might be interested in tackling that kind of repair work on a 4 stroke 50 HP outboard.-Just too many parts and pieces to inspect / check out.------------What is your e-mail info.----------If you were to send me a bunch of detailed pictures I can see if there is " hope for this motor " to run properly again.----Might be worth doing , but only as a long term winter project.

I just picked my motor up from the shop today after having that same problem. After 1100.00 mistake I was informed by the mechanic that when using water muffs on the engine you have to cover the air intake with tape to prevent the motor from sucking air. I am not sure if you are aware of this as for I was not and after footing the bill for this mistake I learned a very valuable lesson. Hopefully you are as lucky as me and there is no engine damage. After a new water pump and head gasket I am good to go. The repair invoice is fresh in my file so if you would like to see it shoot me a message,

Back