Logo

1999 evinrude ficht 115hp

J

J.Maynard

"Aware of all the problems wit

"Aware of all the problems with these motors, but for the most part mine has been good. Just got back from service for a very persistent midrange mis, mechanic changed plugs per TSB to champion QC12PEP. I have changed fuel filter and thermostats. Use XD50 and 2+4 fuel conditioner. Diagnostics showed no problem. What else can I do? Please help."

Is the problem around the 2000

Is the problem around the 2000rpm area where the engine change ignition modus stratified/homogenious?
Did the mechanich check that You had the latest software installed?

"Yes the 2-3000 rpm range. And

"Yes the 2-3000 rpm range. And no he did not mention the above, just if the plugs did not work then he would need to take it on the water. Could you please explain ignition modus straitified."

"Theese engines operates in tw

"Theese engines operates in two modeuses:
Homogeneous ignition
Stratified ignition.
Google the above and You will get the correct description.
The idea is mainly to get a complete combustion as possible, low fuel consumption and 'clean' burning.
In the trancission between theese two moduses, rpm may vary between 2-3000 rpm depending of selected propeller and load.
In general the heavier the load is on the engine at this changing phase the more noticable the trancission is and for some it may be quite 'disturbing'.
The changing phase may not be noticable when the boat is new, clean at the bottom and light, but as the season goes on, boat gets heavier etc it may be a problem.
My advice is to use a propeller that puts You in the upper limit of the rpm at WOT, at newly launched, light boat without fuel even slightly over the limit. The try to stay away from just that specific rpm range, normally an interval of 2-300 that creates the 'problem'."

"Thank you very much for this

"Thank you very much for this information, I was looking into a new prop anyway. So this transition is just a quirk of this engine? My boat is very well kept and does not sit in the water. As for the current prop it is the original SST 13 7/8x17. WOT is around 5600rpm,light load 17ft. aluminum princecraft."

"You might call it 'a quir

"You might call it 'a quirk' of the engine, yes.
Try one size up and one down before You decide which one suits Your needs best and minimize the 'problem' for You. Any serious prop dealer will lend You prop for test!"

Back