Logo

Starter problems

bmorris

I purchased a 1981 Speedliner

I purchased a 1981 Speedliner 898 V8 305 Merc it did not come with a starter so I purchased one put it in and nothing. When I turn the key on it has power the raise and lowere then outdrive and powers the light and guages but when you turn the key the starter will not click or turn as if it isnt getting power. Iam I missing something?

Thanks for the response Fastje

Thanks for the response Fastjeff..
Were do I find this wire? Are you talking about the soleniod that is by the distributor?

He is talking about the wire t

He is talking about the wire that energizes the solenoid on the starter.

"Brendon: Check the in-line f

"Brendon: Check the in-line fuse under the dash on the large red wire attached to the ignition switch first. If it is not blown, then go the engine.

The solenoid should be on the engine in front. Look for a big red button which is the engine's circuit breaker. PUSH IT IN TIGHTLY; IT MAY BE TRIPPED. Try to start it. If not, then the solenoid should be right next to it. Two small wires are on the base, one has 12 Volts from the ignition key and the other is a ground.

The top of the selenoid has two heavy wires, one from the battery and the other to the starter. You can carefully jump, only for a moment or two, the top two studs with a screw driver to see if the engine turns over.

If it does, then check for 12 volts at the yellow/red striped wire on the solenoid. If you have 12 volts and it it doesn't turn the starter, then the problem is either a bad solenoid, or ground wire. If there is no 12 volts, then the wire from the ignition switch or the switch itself is defective.

To see a picture of the solenoid, go to this website www.mercruiserparts.com. Select the engine and drive and electrical components by picture. Item 37 is the solenoid.

Guy"

"Actually,.....
I think every

"Actually,.....
I think everyone's talking about the Starter Solenoid,....
The 1 that's mounted Directly On the Top of the Starter........
Atleast, That's the 1 I'd be Checking.......

And,......
Make Sure you have a Good Ground path back to the Battery......."

"Thanks Bondo, I missed that--

"Thanks Bondo, I missed that--I was having a pre-senior moment. Brenden: Get a wiring diagram at your local library for free and trace the wires you have. If one is missing, replace it with the correct gauge wire. Any marine parts and service center can also help you with the wiring schematic diagram and the correct wire to use.
Guy"

".."I was having a pre-sen

".."I was having a pre-senior moment. "

Just wait 'til you have them for real.

Now, ah, what were we talking about...

Jeff"

"...at least they arent callin

"...at least they arent calling you, "slow jeff" just yet.

Mr Morris.

The starter solenoid is the small cylinder next to the starter. Keep in mind that the solenoid is just a big electrical switch. It should have two big lugs on it and one (or two) small connections. The first fat cable brings power in directly from the battery. The other passes it on to the starter. When you apply 12 volts to the little terminal, it closes the "big switch" and sends power on to the starter motor and starts it turning.

Remove all the small wires and jump 12 volts to the small connector on the solenoid. As Guy says, that should make the starter turn. If it works, then trace back up stream to see why you aren't getting power to the little wire when the key is turned to the crank mode.

Keep in mind that you wont get anything if your motor is not properly grounded to the negitive side of the battery. Make sure all connections are nice and tight and BE CAREFUL. 12 volts won't shock you, but it can be ugly if you inadvertently create a short. Just thoughts.

Hays"

"Mr. Morris:
As David said

"Mr. Morris:
As David said BE CAREFUL "12 volts won't shock you, but it can be ugly if you inadvertently create a short". A spark at the battery can cause the battery to EXPLODE! Serious ACID BURNS are disfiguring to the face and will blind you!

There is also enough current in the battery to weld a wrench to ground if you are not careful; ALWAYS remove the battery ground cable when removing and attaching wires. I have welded a wrench before but have yet to explode a battery.

Guy"

".."...at least they arent

".."...at least they arent calling you, "slow jeff" just yet. "

Actually, that's the reason for the nickname--I was the slowest dirt bike rider in out little Sunday morning group. But don't tell anyone!

Jeff"

Back