Logo

1999 ox-66 sx150txrx

trynhooker

Regular Contributor
Hey everyone.. I have been trying to get this bearing carrier for the past 2 weeks now and still it won't budge. It has been soaking in penetrating fluid the entire time.
The engine was used in saltwater and I assume the lower unit was never taken apart, hence it being so stuck...lol

I have used heat at the point of burning the paint off in spots while having the puller attached at the same time for almost 14 straight days...

I had already cut the retaining nut out because it wouldn't budge either, so I figured that would get rid of one stuck part :)

I have been using part of a regular harmonic balancer puller with some turnbuckles used to connect under the carrier.1342454639428.jpg

Last edited:
It takes acetylene torch kind of heat, not propane torch kind. You WILL burn the paint off, but it will come out. When you re-install the carrier put some teflon grease around the contact surfaces to make it easier for disassembly next time. It sticks on the prop end of the carrier, so that's where you need to heat it up.

-Mike

Torch Kit.jpg

the prop end of the carrier is removed-cut out since it wouldn't break either (i forgot to mention that in original post). it is stuck down at the inside end of the carrier..

Finally today, this thing came out..lol

Only problem now is the bearing and gear did not come out. Tried pulling it out but can't

Any ideas?

Ok now I see why this thing took so long to get out.
The reverse gear thrust washer is what was stuck due to the corrosion.
When I pulled the bearing carrier out, I was actually pulling the carrier OFF the bearing itself...Never heard of that happening but it did.

Got the bearing gear and thrust washer out just a few minutes ago..Had to heat casing again and pull prop shaft to pull the thrust washer thru the corrosion areas..It was stuck pretty good but doesn't appear to be any damage except for the bearing carrier, which I broke in pieces...

Time to order new bearing carrier..

Back