Logo

oops..now I've done it

rachelsdad

Hi all,

Been reading these forums for a bit but really had nothing, (usefull), to add...but now I need some help so I am jumping in.

I have a Honda BF 15 (BAAL 1200708), and inside the handlebar there is a plastic gear that meshes with the throttle control(reel cable). Well. I was mucking around with it while it wasn't running and was forcing the throttle back and forth, (ok more forth than back), and I twisted a bit too hard and I lost a tooth to the gear...all the while my 7 yr old daughter was saying..Daddy don't force it...like you told about my zippers...don't force it....(be quiet kid!!)

Well w/out the missing cog/tooth in that gear it will not return to idle or low speed. I need to take a screwdriver to turn the reel cable, (with handlebar in an upright position), and manually reduced throttle.

Makes for a tricky docking maneuver to say the least.

I can not find the specific gear for sale, only the throttle grip or the entire handlebar assembly and I am not sure the throttle grip or handlebar assembly would contain the gear.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've called a few shops local and on the web but they can't seem to understand what I am talking about.

Also, tried search here on this forum but nothing came up...(in fact nothing at all came up when I entered Honda Outboard so I am sure I am doing something wrong....(who me...never!!)

Thanks so much in advance!!

Mike, you too funny. Kinda sounds like he should be ordering a cable or two also doesn't it?
Ratchetsdad, were you "mucking around" because you had a sticky throttle to begin with? Might as well fix it right while you've got it apart.

Mike, you too funny. Kinda sounds like he should be ordering a cable or two also doesn't it?
Ratchetsdad, were you "mucking around" because you had a sticky throttle to begin with? Might as well fix it right while you've got it apart.

Funny Mike....real funny....now go to bed you ...oh sorry, got carried away here.

Why would I need the pipe grip? It doesn't appear to be affected. And from what I can determine, (from memory, the boat is two hours away), the pipe grip stops short of the "insides" of the handle...and both gears appear to be inside, the schematic doesn't really show the bottom of the pipe grip, (if it is cogged on the bottom that would solve that). I did order the other part from them late morning yesterday, extremely helpful woman, sorry I cannot remember her name, but it was pretty funny as we were going over the schematic and I'm trying to describe what where and how...so kudos to the folks at Boat.net

And the reason I was mucking around is that it did seem stiff but now works fine, (for the limited range I can use, 80% +/-). I did inspect, they looked fine but put a bit of lithium grease on the exposed sections of the cable....but then again, JGMO you're probably right..I'll order them up as well since the part is three days out before it hits boat.net and they need to ship it off to me.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
I think, when you next see your motor, you will find that the pipe grip has cogs on it and it is what rotates the cable reel.

Are you sure that there is actually a part broken off the pipe grip or could it all just be one notch off and thus out of sync. If it is out of sync, just unbolt the cable reel and rotate the pipe grip (gently) to the correct position.

I'm going to bed now....

Mike

Are you sure that there is actually a part broken off the pipe grip or could it all just be one notch off and thus out of sync.

Oh I do know for sure that it is broke...as the cog fell into my palm...just one of those boneheaded moves I am famous for.

You should hear the story of how I finally got the radio out of my 1969 Fiat back in 1976...never saw a car before or since cave in on itself at the dashboard....

Ok got the Pipe grip..Mike was correct.

I am going up to the lake tomorrow to replace that and the cables.

I remember I'll need to remove the rubber grip and it appears there is a nut holding the pipe grip on.

Is there anything unusual I need to be on the lookout for? My temper, steel socket wrenches and water don't always mix well.

Like my putter...some one asked why I got a new one...I told him the old one did not float!!

Guys, thanks for all the advice to this point. I would not have ordered the pipe grip and now that it is in my hand you were right..save a bunch of aggravation!!

Yep! Just like the rest of us here, you have discovered that Mike is correct 99.99999999% of the time. He's saved many members here a BOATLOAD of money! Pun INTENDED...HA HA HA HA HA.

Mike,

The bank said those wire instructions did not take. I am sorry..and apparently the funds are now tied up for the weekend "float" via the Federal Reserve clearing house. Perhaps I can try again next week.

Thanks again for your advice!!

Back