Logo

Honda 2008 BF90D water pump impeller replacement

Bite the bullet and order a Helm Shop Manual for your engine. Don't waste your money on the after market manuals, they are full of errors and omissions.

Saving for the oem manual since the best price for it is 91.00.
Got a new impeller from dealer. They told me since it had only 50 hrs on it not to worry about the gaskets and orings. Anything I need to be careful with while changing the impeller? Some say coat with light grease and some say use dawn dish soap. Thanks for the reply.

I don't know much about the 90. Mike or Jimmy need to jump in on this. On my 225, I change out the whole water pump about every 200 hours, which is less than a season for me. I do that because I'm always launching or returning in shallow water and often kick up a lot of sand and mud. Even though you only have 50 hours on the engine, I would definitely replace the gaskets and O rings. Lack of use can be worst than heavy use when it comes to keeping the seals in good shape.

Do you mean the liner inside the pump? I don't even look at them, just replace the whole pump. When you injest sand and mud, that tends to wear the liner and makes the pump less efficient.

Honda has just recently sent to dealers, copies of several different how to's for consumers. One of them is how to change a water pump in a BF75D and BF90D.

Ask your dealer for a copy. It is meant to be given to customers. An unusual move for Honda, I know.

I would post it, but have not been able to figure out how to post a pdf.

Hopefully, you bought the service kit, witch should have an impeller, o ring, gasket, and key. That is the minimum that you should change. If there is any scoring at all on the plate or the cup, inside the housing, they should be changed too.

Mike

Let's see if this works..

Attachments

• ml.repaw05v.marine_-_water_pump_replacement_for_bf75d__bf90d_outboard_motors.pdf
    250.4 KB · Views: 1,308
Works great hondadude! Thank you. Thank you to chawk_man also! I will take it apart and inspect. Hopefully all I need is the service kit at the very least.

I got the impeller in and have a good strong stream. But I noticed water coming out from around shift shaft. Never even noticed before but Is this normal? or is something not sealed up good. Thanks in advance

Back