Logo

2002 225 honda stalling out

bonecollector

so my engine stalls out when i try to get up on plane alarms go off only a two light pannel battery light lights and alarm stays on till key turned off idels fine took to honda dealer they charged me 1800 bucks prob still there they changed all fuel filters i replaced bulb and plugs ball gets squishy when running oil level is good as well any thoughts

What kind of alarm? Long-intermittent, short-intermittent, or continuous? If continuous, then the ECM thinks you have water in the on-board fuel-water seperator, or the float is stuck, or the connector is corroded or bad.

Did dealer run HDS diagnostics? Should have. If so, what did that say? If not, find another dealer who will.

Simple things first. You said bulb get's squishy - that is likely either an air leak in the fuel line somewhere, or a bad low pressure or high pressure fuel pump. To test the LP fuel pump, try having someone constantly squeeze the pump up bulb while trying to get up on plane. Make sure the bulb is not collapsing when alarm goes off. If so, then you have a clogged breather tube to your fuel tank, or a partially clogged pick up tube in your fuel tank. To test for a clogged breather tube, just unscrew the fuel filler cap while running. To test for a clogged pick up tube, disconnect fuel line before pump up bulb and blow compressed air back through it into the tank - make sure the fuel filler tube is open.

Do you have an external fuel/water sererator in line? (You should have.) If so, check it for water, and make sure seals are tight and the fuel-in and fuel-out connections are tight and secure. If the filter has not been changed in a while, change it. Thay sometimes get clogged up over time and they will deteriorate over time.

If nothing helps, yet, then rig a clear plastic fuel line from your pump up bulb to the on-board fuel-water seperator. Try to get the engine up on plane and have someone look for air bubbles in the fuel line. Next, remove the bowl to the onboard fuel-water seperator and clean it out well. Re-assemble IAW owners manual. Make sure the float moves up and down easily, the bowl seal is in good shape and tight, and the fuel line connections are tight. Also clean the connectors from the two wires coming out of the bottom of the fuel/water seperator.

Next remove bowl to LP fuel filter, check seal, check fuel line connections, and reassemble IAW owners manual.

Drain the VST. On the back right side of your engine, you will see a clear plastic tube in a clip. Take it out of the clip and follow it to the base of the VST. Beside it will be a slotted set screw. Use a 10'" screw driver and slowly open the set screw with the open end of the plastic tube in a clear quart jar. You should get about a pint of fuel out of there. Inspect for dirt and gunk. If no fuel comes out, try blowing air back through the plastic tube to open it up.

Get back if none of that fixes the problem. I'm assuming the dealer actually did change out the high pressure fuel filter.

Also, have the dealer install a pgm panel (two light panel with charge light and check engine light)...then you will better know what kind of problem that you have.

32340-ZW7-000AH.jpg

[h=5]32340-ZW7-000AH[/h]
It might just plug into existing wiring...but due to the age of the installation, it may require an extra three wire harness to be run.

Mike

so dealer called me last night informed me i need a new motor crankshaft has 3/16s play in it i guess andonce it hits 3000 rpm t stalls out no codes get thrown he said it was cuase there was a wrong prop on it the boat came to me with a 19 pitch prop ? now i need to find out if inssurance will cover my engine any suggestions and should i stick with a honda

Well, there may be still a lot I don't know about this engine, but a crankshaft with too much play should not cause the rpm/planeing problem and the alarm to be activated. The 19" pitch prop could be a problem for planeing and obtaining correct WOT performance at 6000 rpm, but again, that should not cause an alarm to go off. If an alarm is going off, there are one or more fault codes on the EPROM, and the dealer has not told you what those codes are. Ask your dealer to explain how a crankshaft with too much play is causing an alarm to go off. I would really like to hear that explanation.

there were no codes i guess verry loose battery conections posible bad selector switch ,never ever got to 6000rpm it would only ever get 4800 max prop has been on its hole life i took this to wood boat and motor last year when boat came up from florida paid them 1500 bucks told them go through engine check it up they gave me the all clear which obviously wasnt this prop was a 19 pitch think 14 inch as soon as new mechanic seen my boat from a distance said wrong prop and enginee to low which i suspected i would like to go after who ever rigged it or wood boat and motor for giving me the all clear this boat had 84 hrs on it when i got it so im a lil pissed about everything

If there is an alarm going off, there is a fault code - period. UNLESS there is a short in the alarm circuit. As I asked before - What kind of alarm? Long-intermittent, short-intermittent, or continuous?

A 2002 BF 225 with only 84 hours is a problem to start with. I recommend that you search through this forum and look at some of the issues. The 225's before 2007 had a problem with the exhaust pipes allowing water to enter into the exhaust and blowing the O2 sensor. That would almost always occur if the engine was mounted too low. Exhaust ports must be at least 5.9 inches above the water line with the boat at rest. If that is not corrected, water can actually be injested into one or more cylinders, lock up and destroy the engine. Honda extended the warranty on the O2 sensors to ten years.

It would be extremely rare for a 225 with only 84 hours to have excessive play in the crankshaft unless it was assembled incorrectly, or the motor was damaged. I realy think you need to find another dealer. Where do you live?

If there is an alarm going off, there is a fault code - period. UNLESS there is a short in the alarm circuit. As I asked before - What kind of alarm? Long-intermittent, short-intermittent, or continuous?

A 2002 BF 225 with only 84 hours is a problem to start with. I recommend that you search through this forum and look at some of the issues. The 225's before 2007 had a problem with the exhaust pipes allowing water to enter into the exhaust and blowing the O2 sensor. That would almost always occur if the engine was mounted too low. Exhaust ports must be at least 5.9 inches above the water line with the boat at rest. If that is not corrected, water can actually be injested into one or more cylinders, lock up and destroy the engine. Honda extended the warranty on the O2 sensors to ten years.

It would be extremely rare for a 225 with only 84 hours to have excessive play in the crankshaft unless it was assembled incorrectly, or the motor was damaged. I realy think you need to find another dealer. Where do you live?

Agreed, find another dealer.

its a long alarm dont stop till i turn key off it does it when i hit about 3000 rpms motor shakes and wont do anything unlees i turn off engine they told me that the prop this engine has had on it its whole life was wrong 19 pitch and motor was mounted to low i have never got over 4500 to 4800 rpms out of it since i got it so i dont know what to think my nsuranse comany involed now they sending there own surveyor to look at it and the boats in cape cod

Back