Logo

Horn Scare

R

run out

Was returning back into hatteras inlet when the warning horn sounded a steady blast and the mtr shut down to about 1200 or so RPM. First thought was over heat but the pisser was steady and didn't wan't to shut down what little power i had with the narrow channel and running a ground for sure. Then the horn shut off and mtr regained pwr; for a 1\4 mile or so and then all hell broke loose again this time in better water. Got a chance to check things out and found that the 2 cycle oil was low [OUCH] 2 GAL OF OIL per 60 gal of gas. Just had a new remote oil pump installed last week and this was the first time out, seems something is wrong here. BUT my question is,[ being a merc; man], does the HORN on the yammeys only omit ONE sound. For instance if the mercs overheat the horn sounds a steady blast, like the yammy did, but if they run out of oil it makes a intermitent sound, beep-beep-beep-------------... This is a 225 066 2 stroke Thanks for the read,

Yes its always the same horn sound. You have to look at your digital gauges to see what's blinking to know what the alert is for. Its in the owners manual.

-Mike

Thanks Mike, it's my brothers boat and i did not notice anything on the gages that alerted me to the oil trouble but ill check it out. Thanks for your help and GOD BLESS. Dave.

Back