Logo

2008 Honda BF115 not starting

vafite

I have a honda BF115 that refuses to start.* Motor has about 50 hours on it.* After sitting for a day, it will start up and run for about 1 or 2 seconds then die.* Never starts up again that day.* Drove it two days before, and it ran fine as usual.* Tried pumping the bulb up until hard, but still doesn't start.* Doesn't sputter, fire*or anything.* Just spins by the starter.* Checked the fuel, clean, checked all filters, clean.* Took it to the local dealer in Fort Worth where it was purchased, and after a week or so, they think it is compression.* They report all cylinders have 115-120 psi.* They said they checked spark and it was good.* They think it is getting fuel because they said the spark plugs looked wet.*

Their diagnosis is that the cylinder walls are scared from sand (or something similar) that got into the intake, and thus the low compression.* They think compression should be 180-200 psi.

I'm having a hard time believing they know what they are doing.* My shade tree diagnosis is no fuel.* Either fuel pump not running or something is blocking it from getting to the injectors.

Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated.* Does anyone know how to get in touch with a Honda Marine District Service Manager?

Vafite in the DFW area.

They think compression should be? Are they a Honda dealer? Assuming the motor is a BF115D model, the spec book says it should be 222 - 250 at 200 rpm. There is no thinking about it. Do they know that they should check it without spark plugs in it and with throttle fully open?

Have they even checked the fuel pressure? Generally, you can hear the fuel pump operate for two seconds when you turn the key switch to on. Fuel pressure measurement should tell solve that mystery.

Most likely, with such low hours, the motor is probably still under warranty.

Is the inside of the cowling filled with sand? Why would they think that it ingested sand?

If you seem to be having issues with this dealer, I recommend that you call Honda Customer Relations at 770-497-6400.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the response. They sold me the unit originally, and they are listed as a honda dealer (the only one in Fort Worth, TX). How the compression was checked, I don't have a clew. It makes sense that compression would be much higher with the throttle fully open. I'll quiz them on that. I don't think they have checked fuel pressure. When I asked if the motor was getting fuel, the tech's response was: "yes because the plugs looked wet when I removed them." I'll ask them about the fuel pressure, on Tuesday (next time they are open). Before I took it in, there was no fuel pump noise when turning on the switch. How much should the fuel pressure be?

That model had a three year warranty on the motor and a four year warranty on the emissions system which will be out in about another week. I think the newer models are five year warranty.

There were several dirt dobber mounds under the engine cover when I removed it. I didn't notice anything major (sand) in the intake cowling. Also note, the engine ran normally and did not smoke two days before.

Your suggestions make perfect sense. Talking to the service tech's here is like talking to a rock. I'll be calling the Customer Relations on Monday. You don't know how much I appreciate your time and knowledge in helping me get this resolved. I'll let you know what I find out.

Vic

One other thing to ask them is if they have done a leakdown test. That will tell them whether the low compression (if taken correctly) was from something in the cylinders/crankcase, intake valves or exhaust valves. It is interesting that all of the cylinders are the same.

The fuel pressure from the high pressure pump should be around 40 - 47 psi. It should get to almost 40 just turning on the key switch a couple of times.

Mike

Mike,

That's really good information. As far as a leak down test, I asked if they put oil in the cylinders and rechecked the compression. The tech looked like a deer in the headlights, then finally said no. He then went off on that he wanted to get it warm and retest the compression. I woundered how he was going to get it warm if it would'n start! No response to that question.

Mike, you have given me a lot of leads to resolve this problem, and I greatly appreciate it. Are you close to DFW, and I would bring it to you to troubleshoot.

I'm just so tired of this runaround. They have had it for about 3 weeks now. I just wish they would be honest with me in their testing. One more thing, they have not connected a diagnostic tool to the engine, because they said they need to get an update disk for the tool.

Unbelievable..... Many thanks for your input. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm ready to take it to a different dealer

Vic

Mike,

I contacted Honda Marine Customer Relations this morning and got the situation to a case worker. He is suppose to contact them in a couple days.

Thanks for the lead.

Vic

Well at long last the problem was found. Dirt-dobbers got under the cawl and built nests on the timing belt and pully. When it fired up, it slipped several degrees. That explains the low compression, leakage test and backfiring. Starts and runs fine now.

Thanks for the suggestion of contacting Honda Customer Support. Not sure they would have ever found the problem without tearing down the engine.

Vic

Back