Logo

marine detroits problems

imrbobby

Hey guys, just joined here. i have a problem with 2 detroit engines on a marine powered boat. off a 33' its a v8 four stroke diesel powered.

PROBLEM:
the engine idles fine and when i rev the engine up to say, 1200 both motors will rev up to 2000-2500 rpm after a 3 second pause. im not sure if the governor is the main problem or not. but it happens on both engines. the throttle cables are snug tight. is there a possibilty that the air/fuel ratio be off? is there any turbo lag on these motors? i do have a boost gauge. and they are in boost. i know you can adjust the governor but doesnt the governor pushes fuel at idle and at full board? and I've read that the fuel pump right behind the governor has a spring that can go bad?

You say these are "v8 four stroke diesel powered" and that they are "detroit engines". That suggests to me that they are 8.2L. I'm not an expert on the 8.2 but I do have some shop documentation on them,

But, before I go digging through my archives and wasting my valuable time though, you will need to provide a little more info to get me kick started. Post some numbers off of one of the engines. There should be some information on the valve covers and also on or around the intake. Copy everything you can find and then get back.

It does sound like a governor or injector problem. Were these things sitting for a long period of time? Were they recently worked on and, if so, what was done? That's the sort of stuff we need to possibly help you.

Back