Logo

Hull Condition/Repair Question (Photos)

short1

Hi everyone, i'm new to the boating hobby and am looking for my first boat. I think i've found a nice trihull BUT there are scrapes/gouges on the hulls. Also further back on the hull there are some slight bumps, they're barely there, no cracking or chipping around them. The first pic is of the center hull, it's a long scrape but still solid. The second pic is of one of the outer hulls(both are about the same) it's about a 2" scrape, but it's deep, soft to the touch. I'm thinking maybe it's from trying to drive it onto the trailer? It's 35yrs old so i don't expect it to be perfect but is this enough to sink the deal:p How big of a job is this going to be? If it's not something I can do myself what do you guess it would run to have a shop do it? Thanks for any input!

mms_img-1699072652.jpg

mms_img449222879.jpg

If you cant do it yourself, i wouldnt bother. Shouldnt be to difficult, assuming its dry. Sand down the surface surounding the hole. if you can access from the inside, layer in some wet fiberglass matting, let dry fully between layers. then on the outside layer on a sheet of fiberglass cloth. after it drys, coat with fiberglass resin a couple more times. Sand smooth and paint. Small scratches marine tex works well.

if the second gouge is deep and the hull is soft in the area, you have hull damage and the question is how extensive. I'd suggest finding another hull as this is your first experience.

Back