Logo

Polytron?

blm

Anyone try this?

Really does some outlandish claims.

check it out here: www.polytrondirect.com

in oil & fuel.

Have a buddy who claims this is the real deal, and uses it in his Honda 225.

Personally, I do a ton of short runs and restarts all day long. Kinda like a NY Taxi, but instead we sit for awhile, between stops.

I looked at the ad and my "snakeoil" alarm went off. I am suspicious of overly "optimistic" claims and, checkbox #9 says "extend oil change intervals 800-900%. C'mon!

And, you might not want to put it in a new engine if, in fact, what checkbox #5 claims is true. "(might even raise compression in new engines)" Why would you need or want that to happen?

I dunno... but I remember several products over the years that failed to live up to the claims and, I even spun a bearing in an engine that was full of oil and had been just treated with one of the latest "run dry with no damage" miracle additives. Can't remember the name of the stuff but it was plastered on half the race cars in this country for a time. It is no longer sold anywhere so I guess others had problems with it too.

I tried to find some independent testimonials on the web and you tube and all I could find was Polytron advertisements. Hmmm.

Don't get me wrong, I WISH something that can live up to all the claims were available. And, this stuff may very well be the, well, STUFF! Looks good on paper.

And, I was wrong about the stuff I was trying being off the market. It is still out there. After surviving an FTC lawsuit. It is called Prolong. An old NASCAR mechanic and Popular Mechanics magazine contributor, Smokey Yunick, endorsed the crap and that's what got me in. It turns out he was a paid...er...well..."compensated" spokesman.

And, the highly advertised product Zmax came out of a similar FTC action in 2001 waving the victory flag. Even though nothing was ever really litigated. They all "settled" because no one had enough goods on the other to finish the argument. Verdict?: Maybe we, the public, lose.

As for Polytron, here is something from one of their MSDS papers. The product contains the following:

Polymer/Amine Blend Proprietary, Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates, Aromatic Petroleum Distillates, Xylene, Ethyl Benzene, Naphtalene.

I'm no chemist and that and a control group test is going to be the only way we're going to know for sure if it helps or hurts.

I'm going to speculate a little something here so take it with a grain of salt. Polytron says it was "developed for the military" Their ads feature photos of Abrams M 1 battle tanks and Apache Longbow helicopters. They say the product is "made in the USA".

But, was it developed in the USA for the US military? If not, which military? Much of their empirical testing and advertisement "testimonials" seem to be based in Bulgaria. Even many their Facebook friends have Eastern European and Slavic sounding names. I can understand them needing the good ol' USA connection for marketing purposes but I am always put off by deceit.

Like I said, pure speculation. So, I'm going to email them and ask.

Last edited:
Dont rule out that the OP was trying to get people to go to the site, check it out, and perhaps buy some.

Yeah, I considered that. If so, he is much "stealthier" than others that try.

No matter, I am always interested in trying new things IF I can be convinced they have a chance of working.

There is a whole lotta bad ju-ju with oil additives though so I would recommend everyone be VERY careful before popping the top and pouring it into a $25,000 outboard.

I'd stick with a high quality synthetic oil and forget all the woo-juice. I've been a mobile 1 fan for a long time for my cars and boats. This past oil change, in my car, I used Penzoil Ultra. After about a 2500 mile road trip, i found that it actually cleaned the discoloration (deposits) off of the dipstick just above the "full" mark. I might be sticking with it.

That's interesting. That oil must have some "scrubbers" in it.

I was recently reading an article in which a Ford Motor Co. engineer was quoted as saying that additives could be very harmful and even mixing brands of oils could actually cancel out the benefits of the additives that were put in them.

He stated that he had seen engine damage occur when a "cleaning agent" went so far as to remove deposits but also started etching the metals. His advice was to pick an oil that conformed to mfr. recommendations and then don't change.

I've been doing this (wrenching) a long time and I've seen the lube technology get better and better over the years. But, there have been some hiccups along the way. Like when everyone went to synthetics only to find that, yes, it is a superior lube in almost every way but it will damage seals made of incompatible materials.

So, sometimes the "hardware" has to catch up with the "software" for it all to work as it should.

I might try me some o dat Ultra myself. I would love to see the dipstick markings clearly again.

Hopefully, these major oil manufactures know what there doing. I would hate to find that I paid extra moola for something that's going to kill my car.

Back