Logo

Hond four 40 engine troubles

Polson

I have a Honda four 40 that will start just fine and idle, trouble is that it will not go past 2000 rpm. When we are on the water I will put throttle full ahead and you can use choke on engine to bring it up to speed. I have changed outside filter and the one on engine and tried carb cleaners and a few other things that have been told to try with no luck, is it time to remove carbs to check out.

Thanks
Pete

Yep! You will have to dissassemble all of the carbs and clean all passages. Most likely, it is only running on two cylinders now and you just do not know it.

If you can keep it going at full throttle after you put the choke back to normal, the main jets are probably clean....your transistion passages are most likely clogged.

As always, I recommend performing a compression and spark test before pulling the carbs...just in case there is something most significant wrong. If you do not have the test gear, then go for the carbs.

Keep track of which carb is which. If you mix them up, the carb balance will be off more than it was. Most likely you do not have the equipment to vacuum balance the carbs.

It you want a really good manual to show you how to clean the carbs helminc.com sells the Honda Carb Manual, which I still refer to at times. http://www.helminc.com/helm/result.asp?Style=helm It is worth the $40, if you want to do your own work. This coupled with the Honda repair manual will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about that motor.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for info, I will have to get manual for this. Should I be looking to get a carb kit before I start this job.

Pete

Probably would be good, although you are not sure what you absolutely need.

Post your serial number and I and possibly others will give a suggested list of parts.

Mike

Back