Logo

05 caravelle intercepter electrical problem

boat1987

is there anyone who is willing to take on a challenge?? I have a 05 caravelle intercepter that is going haywire and needing help to figure it out... my trim stopped working, everytime i push the trim up or down it, the solenoid clicks and wont turn the pump on, but the fuel gauge, all gauge back lights flicker.. and when i plug in the radio " detachable face" it also flickers.. i hve checked the what so called breaker box under the driver dash.. traced all wires i could, but couldnt find any bare or unconnected wires... when i bought it the tech gauge was stuck at about 120 rpm's....

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a bad groud somewhere. The first thing you do in these situations is remove the battery terminals and clean them thoroughly. Then remove and check where the ground from your battery connects to your motor block. Reattach and then check the resistence between battery ground and your engine block. It should be near zero. If not, replace the ground cable. If that doesn't fix the problem, test the main ground wire from your engine to the key switch. All resistences should be near zero.

Sounds like you have a bad groud somewhere. The first thing you do in these situations is remove the battery terminals and clean them thoroughly. Then remove and check where the ground from your battery connects to your motor block. Reattach and then check the resistence between battery ground and your engine block. It should be near zero. If not, replace the ground cable. If that doesn't fix the problem, test the main ground wire from your engine to the key switch. All resistences should be near zero.

I have recently bought a new battery and terminals., just cause it was 7 years old.., everything ran great after until I cleaned out the carb.., and hat it on the water then it started to ack up.., the only electrical I have messed with was the battery and the " I'm guessing throttle senser on the back of the carb, but it's a plug an play.., I have searched for loosen grounds and possible skinned wires but nothing.., I know that my tech is stuck on about 120 could tht be the problem?? I'll take it to a shop if need to be but I would like to fix it myself and save a few bucks

Test the resistence between the negative battery terminal and your engine block. That ground wire will often deteriorate inside the cover, especially around saltwater. Installing new terminals won't fix that. Flickering lights and a T/T motor that's not getting enough power has nothing to do with the carb.

What engine do you have? If a Mercruiser, post your problem on that forum on this website.

A couple of other things. It is possible that your T/T switch is failing. If you can get to it, remove it. Should have three wires - blue, green, and red (or red-striped). With battery switch on, jumper red to blue (usually T/T up) then red to green (ususlly T/T down). If the T/T works that way, replace the switch.

You may want to uplug the wiring harness from the engine to the consol, clean all of the terminals thoroughly, and check for loose spades or pins.

Another possibility is that you have an intermittent short inside your wiring harness from the motor to your consol. They are very difficult to find. If you eliminate most of the other obvious things, consider replacing it.

Back