Logo

'91 Evinrude 60hp SHift Rod

I got gutsy today and replaced the water pump that hadn't been changed in over 5 years. In removing the lower unit, I read the forum as to how to discoonect the shift rod by pulling the hair pin and pushing the lever. I now have the lower unit back in place however I don't believe it is correct. Before I installed the lower unit I ensure I could rotate the prop shaft freely in both directions. Now when I rotate the prop either direction, I can feel and hear the pistons moving. The shift rod is offset at the top. Is there a certain position the shift rod needs to be located when re-installing the lower unit?

Let's try a different approach. If the prop is engaged for forward, should the prop freewheel in the opposite direction and viceversa for the other direction?

Did you rotate the shift rod during the work ?----Does the shift rod move up and down now.---------Can you find nuetral and reverse at all ?

Thanks Racerone for the response. Yes the rod did rotate while it was out however I placed it back in the same position when re-installing the lower unit although I cannot guarantee it is in the same position now. Yes I can feel the rod having three positions with the middle position being neutral because the prop rotates freely in both directions. When I engage forward, the prop turns the crankshaft because I hear an exhausting sound with one of the plugs removed. This also occurs in the reverse position. I was thinking the prop should free wheel in the opposite direction when forward or reverse is selected.

On some motors when in forward gear it is like this----------turning the prop CCW will turn the crankshaft and it clicks turning it in CW motion without turning the crank.-----------In reverse it will lock both ways ( turn the crank ) when turning the prop.-----------The shift rod height is changes the adjustment.-------If yours shifts fine and the bellcrank lever on the motor is basically vertical in nuetral then there is no problem.

I believe the shift rod height may be incorrect i.e. I believe I turned it. Can someone please provide the height for 1991 60hp

Last edited:
Interesting. I did Google and was given several links/treads to similiar problems but none gave me the shift rod lenght for my EVINRUDE 1991 60HP sn G082590365 Model E60TLEIB. If you know of a link, please share it. Thanks.

Back