Logo

I have a Honda motor issue. It starts but won't accelerate.

mbmb65

I have a 50hp (2010)Honda four stroke with very low hours which will start but never even reaches full idle speed before it quits. It is fuel injected and has fresh gas. Sometimes it will run until I accelerate and it kills immediately. Help. It must be a fuel problem but I am not a mechanic an I can't figure it out. Has anybody had this problem? Maybe fuel filter? I have never put any gas in it without also adding fuel stabilizer.

I'm not the expert here and hopefully you'll get some help from one of the fuel injection techs. I didn't even know Honda made a FI 50hp.

But I do know that most of the injected engines have an item called the VST (vapor separator tank) that needs to be drained and periodically cleaned. I have seen many posts here where "gunk" and water in that system can cause all sorts of problems.

It might just be worth a trip to a dealer since you are well within the warranty period and you certainly wouldn't want to do or allow anything to happen that might void that.

Jimmy is right. Drain VST to see if there is water in it. Flush fuel system if there is. Make sure there are no restrictions in the fuel system from the tank to the engine. Make sure the fuel bulb is hard (assuring that the VST is full of fuel).

Water in the fuel and cause failure to the high pressure fuel pump in the VST.

If nothing found, a call to the dealer would be in order.

Mike

Back