Logo

1993 Johnson 88 V4

RMasters

Hello all!

I just ran across this site and thought I check if you can give me some hints/tips. I did some searching yet did not find the answers I was looking for.

I just bought a boat with a 1993 Johnson 88 V4. I contacted BRP for details, so far I was told it did not come with oil injection (VRO pump), uses 50:1 mixture and can be run on fully synthetic 2 stroke oil (has to meet TWC-3 of course).

Boat/motor comes from my local marina which I have been doing business with for years. Motor has full and equal compression, looks nice and clean. Fires right up, even with a 560 amp battery from 2008!

Anyhows, anybody has maybe a manual (operator, not repair) for it? Any tips or advice you can give me?

The motor is mounted on a 16.5 feet open bow fiberglass boat, boat weights 1,250 pounds.

Thank you all!

The 88 special was an " economy 90 HP "----did not come with oil injection or PT/Tilt-----------Most dealers will have operator manuals for the crossflow V-4 and that is all you really need.----Mix gas and oil at 50:1--------Install a new waterpump impeller !

Thanks RACERONE!

I was mainly looking for basic information like starting procedure. BRP says to raise idle speed, yet the boat does not have an idle lever. BRP said to either pull out the throttle lever and then move forward or press a button at the bottom. Will check this tonight.

Yes, I noticed from the motor number (J88MSLETE) that it was standard without power tilt/trim, but I will put one one. I talked to BRP, there is a VRO (oil injection kit) that can be installed. I am looking for one, got both part numbers from BRP.

Yes, I heard about the different opinions regarding oil injection. I had hat in the 80's in different equipment, and never had an issue with it.

Most boats have a control box that allows you to raise idle speed in nuetral-----Perhaps you need someone to show you on your boat !----Oil injection is great if you take the time to check and maintain the system.-----Know of 2 motors that were ruined on a boat because water got into the oil tanks.-Hoses on them need to be checked regularly too.-------Starting ?----------You fill carburetors with fuel using the manual pump.----Raise idle speed.--Crank motor while pushing in the key.---When motor starts / falters you push in the key till motor smooths out.----Do not rev it wildly in nuetral.

Back