Logo

2006 Evinrude 2 cycle, 90 HP, No Oil light warning

Last year, I began having problems with the "No Oil" warning light on my dashboard. Overlooking it was impossible because I would get a very high-pitch sound for about 10 seconds. It only happened following tilting the engine, so I stopped doing that while floating. This year, the problem continued intermittently, but engine would run in a very slow default mode. I checked the oil (for gas mixing) and it always had plenty in reservoir. Two weeks ago it would only happen every other day, then it got worse, requiring me to limp back to dock at very slow speed. Previously, it would seem to correct itself after sitting for awhile. It seemed that if it started okay, I could drive the boat for awhile with no problem, especially if I kept it at a constant speed. Yesterday, it stopped correcting itself and will only run at slow speed and with the high-pitch screeching warning sound for about 10 seconds as it had always done before. I took it to a certified Evinrude repair shop last week and all they could find was a small gas leak, which they repaired, but problem has continued.

My theories are as follows: 1) clogged oil line or oil filter, 2) clogged gas lline or sediment in gas, though I've been using Sea Foam with my 87 octane unleaded gas, 3) bad oil or gas sensor, 4) problem with shift/accelerator. The engine always starts right up. When running in slow, default mode, engine seems to run a bit rough.

Please help if you can :)

Back