Logo

vfo swap to electric fuel pump 60 hp johnson

mbrizzly

I have a 1993 johnson 60 hp; but the power head appears to be newer. There is nowhere on the block where I can install a straight fuel pump to replace the vro. I can't find a resonable priced repair kit for the vro. So---oooooooooo; I am going to install a coast guard approved electric pump. But; I will need to install a circuit that will shut the electric pump off when and if the engine quits with the ignition on, such as a (God forbid) fire. Does anyone have knowledge of a circuit that will shut the pump off if the 2 cycle engine quits running?

Sorry, if you look there are repair kits available !!! ---Several in fact depending on what is wrong with your pump.------------Just look for an 83 - 70 HP motor like yours and order the pump.---It can hang there or if you can find the bracket used it is a simple job.-------Step # 1 is to take the VRO apart to see what is wrong.

Thanks for your reply, but------------I guess I should have said, 'rebuild kit'. They are available and cost is excessive! Any way, the replacement pumps offered do not fit my engine, as I said. If installed it would look like a real jerry rig. I need to know if there are any circuits designed to shut the electric pump off in case the engine quits with the ignition on? If not I will have to get out the drawing board. Mike B.

They used to sell individual kits.-----------Policies change.-------------I still have a few kits on hand for my own repairs.-The pre 83 70 HP pump is the easy option !!

Last edited:
Diaphragm pumps are ultra reliable. In my opinion there is no need to go electric at all.----There has been no mention of what is wrong with your present pump at all.

Back