Logo

Crossflow timing

J140tlcte 83 crossflow what are the timing settings. OEM Manual tells to use the sticker on the power head for these. My sticker is gone. I would like to know what it should be at idle and WOT.. Thanks.

The timing is fixed on these motors------It rarely needs adjusting.--------Are there issues with the motor that leads you to suspect timing is not correct ??

It is my understanding that the timing ring is rotated during acceleration until the linkage hits a stop and the timing advance is stopped at that point. Therefore the timing at idle versus the timing at wot is quite a bit different. I recently rebuilt part of this powerhead and found that it had been taken apart before. I want to verify that the timing stop has not been moved prior to me owning it. I just want the settings that it would read at idle and wot on a motor that is setup correctly. Not sure what you mean by fixed. That would mean that it is not adjustable. I am sure that is not the case.

Usually nothing needs to be done to ignition timing for the life of the motor.-------I know that the timer base rotates .-------Set maximum spark advance 28 degrees BTDC at full throttle and idle pick-up is at 4 degrees BTDC.--------Idle throttle pick up is at 4 degrees , that is NOT where it might idle.

Back