Logo

Honda 1997 5hp outboard motor water pump section.

destoned

I bought this Honda a few weeks ago and i having a problem with it, the water pump does work but i believe not the way it should.It has water flow when cold then when hot the water flow is less to the point the flow is intermittent and not full. I took apart the bottom to access the water pump, the tube above the water pump which connects to the water pump has and angle cut on the end. I connected a plastic gas hose with a tight fit to it filled it with water and blew in the hose. I saw some water come out of the exit hole but as much came back inside the foot where the exhaust is.I also found i needed to blow quite hard for the water to come out of the exit hole.I need to know if this is normal or should all the water come out the exit hole? thank you in advance if some has an answer for me. I do seem to have a heating problem with the motor after about 10 minutes of running is slows down then stalls.

If the water pump is not in good shape, change it.

Remove the thermostat and try backflushing (with the lower unit off) with a garden hose through the thermostat opening. Hopefully, if there is any debris, it will flush it out.

You can also see if the water passage has any buildup from salt water, etc.

A new thermostat and new water pump kit might fix it....but.....if it has really gotten hot(and it sounds like it did), you will probably have to pull the power head and change the grommet at the top of the water tube (under the power head) and the power head gasket. The grommet, when the motor gets too hot will get hard and melt over itself partially or sometimes, totally closing off the water passage at the top of the water tube. The power head gasket may also be compromised letting exhaust gases into the cooling passage, thus minimizing any water going through.

Mike

Back