Logo

85 hp Chrysler Oily exhaust/smoky

Gazz72

I bought a boat with an 85hp Chrysler outboard (83) . I've got it to run much better than when I bought it however I have only run it in a tank so far . There is a lot of oil in the exhaust and it smokes excessively . I replaced the fuel with new to make sure the mix ratio was correct , I took apart , cleaned and checked the carbs and reed valves .Everything looked good . The motor has 3 coils 1per each spark plug ,I put the induction clamp from a timing light on each plug wire , the light only came on with the 2nd cylinder . The other cylinders are getting spark because it's not running on just one cylinder . Could a weak spark cause the smoky condition ? I don't have much experience with 2 strokes could the piston rings be bad ? I've been able to fix all my other motor problems so far with help from this site . Any feedback is appreciated . I hope I get some good news . Thanks,

If your just running in a tank,your probably not running it long enough to burn all the excess oil.
It will smoke but when you get it hot it'll stop smoking as much.
Do a compression/spark test.
Clean the plugs or buy new.
Then go for a ride.
Start it and as it's running pull 1 plug wire at a time.See if it makes a differenence.J

Back