Logo

What Year is this motor? 28 HP Johnson

big_chief

Need Help...

I have a leak on my lower unit... Need to get a manual, but I don't know the year. Previous owner painted everything on the motor... can't find any numbers. What year is this motor?

I located a SILVER DISC on the motor... which had this number: 3986012. Thats the only number I can find on the motor.

Thanks,

motor1.jpgmotor2.jpgmotor3.jpgmotor4.jpg

The bracket has no numbers unfortunately. I've been trying to narrow it down for days over the internet. From what I can tell, the SPL series was made around 86-96. (and earlier, but it doesn't look that old). But there are 2 SELOC manuals, with a break from 71-90 and 91-2000. In looking at pics on the net of the cowl and lower unit... I think its around the 86-90 range. But I was hoping someone can add more insights.

The motor runs great... I only used it once 2 weeks ago... Before I went out, I replaced the lower unit oil. It was light blueish (West Marine). When I came back, the next day, I noticed drips coming off the prop blade. Over the course of a week... the drips continued and virtually all the fluid had leaked out. When I removed the prop, it appears to be leaking from the shaft, then dribbling down the prop.

I was going to get a manual to remove the lower unit... but dont know the year... so here I am. :)

Maybe, you can help with afew questions I had... I noticed the lower unit has 2 sections (guessing its called a "split gearcase"). Can I just remove the lower skeg portion to access the shaft and replace a seal? Or do I need to drop the whole lower unit?

The diagram I attached... looks close to what I have.

Thanks for the help...

lower unit diagram.jpgprop shaft.jpg

One more note... Hopefully, I didnt use the wrong oil... Even though it seems like it drained out.

I used West Marine Hypoid 90. Which lists as SAE90.

Can someone confirm if this is the right gear case oil?

Back