Logo

Evinrude Starflite II mod# 50523 NO SPARK

technoid

Hi;
My 75 1960 hp has no spark. I have cleaned the points and checked the P lead for grounding out. Its just not producing a spark. Setting the points or changing the condensor looks like its not going to be very easy. I don't have a service manual so I have no idea what the cylinder number locations are or the firing order. Can some one tell me how to set the time? Do I have to pull the belt pulley off to set or replace the points/ condensor? What would be the correct resistance of the pimary winding? I am reading 6 ohms off of it with the points open. I hope its not a shorted distributor cap. I see a cost of over $200 for a new one.

You need to remove the belt and pulley in order to change the points and condenser, or to set the points properly.

That model has a magneto.... while the belt is off, remove the magneto so you can remove the distributor cap to inspect the coil. With the magneto removed, you can clamp it in a vice and spin the pulley to check it out easily.

Have a spark tester attached directly to the main coil output button and spin the pulley clockwise to check the spark. If you have spark at the coil but not from the distributor cap when assembled, the cause is usually a shorted rotor #580338.

Click on my name to the left and send me a private message requesting the OMC bulletin on how to time that model.

Hi;
My 75 1960 hp has no spark. I have cleaned the points and checked the P lead for grounding out. Its just not producing a spark. Setting the points or changing the condensor looks like its not going to be very easy. I don't have a service manual so I have no idea what the cylinder number locations are or the firing order. Can some one tell me how to set the time? Do I have to pull the belt pulley off to set or replace the points/ condensor? What would be the correct resistance of the pimary winding? I am reading 6 ohms off of it with the points open. I hope its not a shorted distributor cap. I see a cost of over $200 for a new one.
Update: What I found was just high resistance at the breaker contacts. I removed the magneto, got the belt pulley off. Removed the wires and re-cleaned the contacts with emery and contact cleaner. Works great now! Ordered an ignition tune up kit.

Back