Logo

Winterizing a 454 Merc

ehlien

Regular Contributor
I recently winterized my 454 I

I recently winterized my 454 IO however I want to make sure I am not at risk. First I did the oil change etc. Then I drained the water from the block trough the drain plugs. (at least on one side) Next I used the bucket method to draw in antifreeze through the out drive with the strongest marine antifreeze I could get. I ran the motor for quite a while and it drew in about 4 gallons. I also pulled all the hoses off the thermostat housing and poured anti freeze into each. Lastly I fogged the engine out and closed it down. Here is my question. Due to the location and obstructions I could not get to the block drain plug on the right side (when looking aft) so I never drained that plug. Since at least one article I read said if you use the bucket method through the out drive you should be safe and some people prefer to stop there and not to drain the block I though I would be safe with everything else I did.

What is your opinion on this?

"If the motor did did not get

"If the motor did did not get hot enough for the thermostat to open it is likely that you still have water in the side of the block that was not drained. The two sides of the block are not common that low on the engine. Even the strongest RV type antifreeze dilutes very quickly in water so what antifreeze did migrate down there did not do much.

If it were mine, I would get in there and remove that plug and be sure that side of the block drains. It is not necessary to run the engine but I would pour some straight AF in a hose until you see it come out the drain.

We don't want to see you on here in the spring asking if it's OK to weld your block.

You might want to consider adding a whip hose and cap to the drain fitting on that side. It is a one time pain in the butt, but next year you will be glad you did it.

Rick"

I did remove the thermostat an

I did remove the thermostat and poured anti down all the attached hoses to the housing so I think I should be good to go. Good idea on the whip hose in the spring.
How would construct that? Replace the peacock with a fitting to the block with a length of hanging hose and a valve at the end to drain? I saw a "One Minute" drain system on line that basically did that in a manifild draining from 8 locations so you just opened all eight lines and the engine was done in a minute. Pretty slick but I think a little pricey @ $379 basically for hoses and fittings.

"Agreed, if most drains are e

"Agreed, if most drains are easy to get to, why bother with them? For about $8.00 you can buy 2 1/4"MPT X 3/8" barb fittings, one 1/4" FPT cap, 2' of 3/8" hose and two #6 mini clamps, done deal. You may get a little scraped up installing them, but once it's done, it's done for good."

Back