Logo

9.9 sailmaster, can't get the gearcase to separate

rkuris

Hi,

I need to replace the impeller on my 1987 Evinrude 9.9. I have removed the upper bolts but it does not seem to want to drop down 1/2 inch. I removed the lower bolts and I could get the actual gearcase to separate. I just can't get the 10 inch extension to move down to access the shifter linkage.

I have enough of a gap that I can get a screwdriver in the hole, but it's not moving. I read this about greasing the splines when you reassemble the unit:
Replace the rubber O-Ring on the driveshaft, & grease the splines with a marine wheel bearing grease. Ifyou forget to grease these splines, the next person to tear this motor apart 10 years from now may havetrouble getting the shaft to separate from the motor.
I suspect that this is what is happening, and I'm that guy 10 years later. I'm looking for a suggestion on how to lower the center section down. I have attempted to hit the thing with a hammer and a wooden block but it still won't budge. I sprayed some PB blaster into the crack but that didn't do anything either. I can twist the gearcase but I'm afraid that will damage it.

It's frustrating because I can see the shifter linkage if I use a flashlight. Has anyone else had this problem? What is the best place to hit it?

Is it possible to remove the shifter linkage from above? I'd imagine the carb has to come out. Will that let the lower unit get low enough to service the water pump?

Any suggestions welcome!

Well, hitting it with a hammer and protecting it with a block of wood seems to be working, although very slowly. I have about 1/4" clearance now. I have the lever in forward which seems to be the best position for lowering as evidenced by the actual gearcase. Something is really stopping it from sliding down, I am wondering if it is bent or something.

Not a lot of luck yet. Still need about another 1/2 inch before I can get to the bottom of the shift linkage. Boy this is a bear.

Are you shore you did not miss a bolt? Try pushing it back up and then back down a number of times. If it is the spline holding things up you should see more movement each time. If you get a definite stop in the same place you missed something.

OK a bit more information. It's pretty clear that the thing holding it together is the water line. It is the only thing that isn't moving up and down. That also explains why the lower section can move but the upper section cannot.

So, now the question is, what could cause this, and is there anything I can do about it? Which end does the water line connect to? Perhaps something melted there? Off to look at the exploded diagrams...

The water line does not move !----It should stay in place.-----------For me it would be simple.----I have lots of spares and would consider cutting the 4 bolts that hold the water pump housing in place.-----------Lower unit will then slide off.----Shift can be loosened.---An adapter can be made to pull the shaft out of the crankshaft using a slide hammer.-----This would sacrifice 4 bolts and the pump housing.

I think I'll do that. I have a spare pump housing. Not sure about spare bolts but I think I can find the right bolt there. The diagram shows two bolt sizes, 0324334 and 0324474.

What is it that holds the water line to the pump housing? Is it just a single grommett?

The water tube is held in the exhaust tuner just below the engine block.-----It does not move when you remove a lower unit.----It just slips out of a grommet in the pump.

The water tube is held in the exhaust tuner just below the engine block.-----It does not move when you remove a lower unit.----It just slips out of a grommet in the pump.

Thank you, this is very helpful. I will bet that the grommet is melted to the tube or is otherwise stuck. I am going to get out the dremmel and see how little damage I can cause!

Here's what worked, without doing any damage! If you screw in the upper bolts tight, and lower the bottom part, the bolts at the top of the water pump can be reached by an open end wrench. I worked them loose as much as possible then tightened the bottom unit back up and lowered the upper unit, giving me just enough room to get to the shifter linkage. I dropped the lower unit and STILL can't get the 10" extension to budge. It seems like the water pipe is seized against the extension. I sprayed the copper with some PB from the bottom and am letting it sit for now, while I run out to get a slide hammer...

The good news is that I can get to the impeller now.

Still no luck on this. I went ahead and serviced the impeller. Now I don't have enough room to get the shifter back into the coupling. I think I need to wait for it to cool down here some before attemping this again.

Every time I get close, it pushes the thing into neutral, which doesn't give me enough room. I wish there were some way to lock the gearcase in the reverse position...

I've rebuilt transmissions on cars and I gotta tell you servicing this outboard has more rough spots than doing a tranny.

Back