Logo

J6REDS water pump test

Howard Cave

I gave my father a 6HP Johnson in 1996 which I inherited on his death several years ago. I recently overhauled the carb & it starts & runs like new, but don't see any water stream to indicate water pump is working. Also have not found where this would appear as there is no obvious weep hole> Where should I look?

Look for a wee hose coming out of the block and going to the lower cowling at the back.-------These often plug up and motor may be cooling just fine.------------On a 1996 motor if a new impeller has not been installed since new, it is time for a new one at any rate.

Look for a wee hose coming out of the block and going to the lower cowling at the back.-------These often plug up and motor may be cooling just fine.------------On a 1996 motor if a new impeller has not been installed since new, it is time for a new one at any rate.

Thanks- that's the info I needed. On the need for a new impeller: probably right, but unit has not been run since about 2001, and has less than 10 hrs total running time. The tube in question is not connected- the plastic elbow has broken at the block & I can't remove the part still in the block. Guess fixing that comes first.

The running time has little to do with when an impeller needs to be changed !------If it is the original then change it out.------Your motor may not have a system that shuts it down should it run hot.------It will be a " why is the motor slowing down " and then it is too late.

The running time has little to do with when an impeller needs to be changed !------If it is the original then change it out.------Your motor may not have a system that shuts it down should it run hot.------It will be a " why is the motor slowing down " and then it is too late.
Yes, I know, & that's on my to do list. Thanks

Back