Logo

Which model

cruzr

"Can anyone tell me which mode

"Can anyone tell me which model(s) of Volvo Penta might have been used on a small (29') 1974 sailboat? I was told the engine is 20 hp, 3 cyl. It might not be the original equipment."

"It could be a 2000 series 3 c

"It could be a 2000 series 3 cylinder also known as 2003 (that is the model, not the year). 28HP at 3200 rpm.

Or it could be a MD17C or MD17D but they are 35 - 36HP.

Or it could be a MD3B but they are 36HP.

There should be a nameplate on the engine with the model number shown."

"Thanks Andrew
I will be seei

"Thanks Andrew
I will be seeing the boat tomorrow. The engine was rebuild 1.5 years ago, and the owner says he thinks the guy who did the rebuild did "a temporary fix on the rings", as he has lost compression.

I'm wondering what my options might cost (rebuild or replace), as this would have a significant effect on what the boat is worth. Any suggestions on what to do/look for/ask would be most appreciated."

"Volvo made so many different

"Volvo made so many different models of engines that after 30 years as a Marine Engineer I saw a new old one last week, in Grenada. You need to get numbers off of the engine. Plug the numbers into goggle as "Volvo (try with and without Pinta) Marine Engine, xxxxx". You will find the info on the engine.
Volvo as a rule is extremely hard and expensive to get parts for. Then add age and the availability of parts. If you decide that you are into old engines, try www.oldmarineengine.com.

I work in Grenada for Enza Marine and for cruisers, cost is number 1 and availability is number 2. Most times they have no choice and pay high dollars and wait in a port much longer than they wanted to.
I recently had an Old Italian Engine (Ruggerini RDM 901) given to me as part of a Generator and after 6 months gave up on the engine because I could not find a piston and a set of rings.
So beware!!"

"My guess is that you have the

"My guess is that you have the model 2003. Most of the parts are available... but as Dwight says, very expensive.

Bring a flashlight and an inspection mirror so you can find and read the nameplate on the engine."

"If the original engine, gas o

"If the original engine, gas or diesel? The 2003 came early 1990, so that one is probably too new, and it rates around 23 HP. The previous models as 3 cyl was MD3,17,3017 and rated 36 HP, the 2 cyls MD2 and MD11 rated 22, MD7 18hp. Quite a jungle, so we need some more info."

Back