Logo

waterpump works at repair shop, not in lake (x2)

kabbro

Hello, first time poster and viewer....because I have a problem. *I have a 1983 75hp Evinrude which has served me well, now only gets used a *2 or 3x/year for tubing for grandkids. *Short version of my problem is that I've had 2 waterpumps replaced (when one appeared to fail) and the motor seems to be repaired at the repair shop evidenced by discharging water through the water pump indicator...I leave the shop thinking the problem is fixed, get to the lake and launch the boat and there is no discharge from the waterpump indicator. *This has happened twice. *The mechanic has stated that he doesn't know what to do next.

Longer version is that last summer the grandkids left the dock, didn't return and we towed them back when they indicated that after just 1 or 2 minutes running "there was lots of steam or smoke" and we assumed that the water pump had failed and that it likely hadn't been run long enough to do any damage. *Took it to the outboard repair shop this spring and they replaced the waterpump indicating there was no sign of damage to the motor. *We launched the boat yesterday and saw immediately that there was no discharge from the waterpump indicator. *Called the repair shop and we brought it in (100 mile round trip) and were "first in line." *I waited and observed the work (not that I know anything about it) and lower unit was removed, pump inspected, air blown through the motor to rule out any blockage and reassembled....and there was no waterpump discharge. *Lower unit removed a 2nd time and new water pump inserted...mechanic upon 2nd closer inspection *used a thicker "key" stating that in retrospect he felt maybe the first "new" waterpump impeller had not been engaged by the driveshaft (at least what I call the driveshaft)....reinstalled lower unit, hooked it up to the hose, started the engine, waterpump indicator was discharging water, I felt confident problem had been solved as did the mechanic, drove back to my lake landing, launched boat, again.....no water pump discharge.

At this time, the mechanic doesn't know this since they're now closed for the holiday...but he had said prior to the 2nd waterpump that if that didn't work, he had no idea what the problem was...actually, in retrospect he had said that "maybe a thermostat is stuck and not working."

At any rate, I am posting to see what ideas or thoughts anybody might have.

Thanks in advance for any help. *Kabbro

The indicators often plug up.-----------Start the motor in the lake and see if the exhaust cover ( port side of the motor ) stays cool.-------Salt water motor -yes or no.--A factory replacement impeller comes with 2 new drive keys.The thicker white one is for motors from79 thru 88.---The black one is for motors from 89 and newer.-Also comes with clear instructions.

Last edited:
Back