Logo

1979 evinrude 140 stalls when start up lever lowered.

dobsie

I recently was given a 1979 Evinrude 140 when I first started it, the engine started, idled and ran fine even in gear, however it did sound like it was running on 3 cyclinders. I traced the problem to what I thought was a broken wire on one of the coilpacks which I replaced with a brand new one. However now the engine starts and idles but as soon as I lower the start up lever it dies what could be wrong? I've checked for spark swapped the coilpacks etc to no avail.

Also just to add once I have idled the engine for a good 10mins with the lever raised occasionally I can shut it off and warm start the engine without using the lever at all. Any help or ideas would be greatful.

These motors have a history of broken piston rings.----------So start with a compression test.-----No amount of adjusting and fiddling will heal a motor that is in bad shape mechanically.

These motors have a history of broken piston rings.----------So start with a compression test.-----No amount of adjusting and fiddling will heal a motor that is in bad shape mechanically.

OKay Ive done a compression test Cylinders 1 and 3 sit on 120 and 2 and 4 around 115. SO I presume/hope that is within an alright range. I should also mention that the engine had been running about 6 months prior to being given to me. And had been started and ran numerous times by me and the previous owner it just seemed to me that it was missing/stuttering hence the reason I replaced the coilpack.

Start by doing a good de-carb of the engine, the a link and synch adjustment. If still a problem, a carb clean might be the next step.

Thanks..sorry if this sounds a little stupid but how do I do a link and sync adjustment?
1. See to that carbs are completely closed - synched (when at low idle)
2. Set pick-up timing/idle timing (when mark on cam hits roller on carbs and they start to open. (You'll need a timing light).
3. Set max timing advance, (normally a sticker on engine, but if not you might need a manual as well as a timing light).
If planning to do your own service and repair, get an OEM workshop manual.

Have the plugs been replaced? Sometimes it is the simple things that can be frustrating. Did all of the plug wires show good spark signal with a timing light.

Have the plugs been replaced? Sometimes it is the simple things that can be frustrating. Did all of the plug wires show good spark signal with a timing light.

I'm yet to replace the plugs they looked fairly new and the engine was running previously (2 weeks prior) to the current issue, I haven't yet checked the leads with a timing light but I have a brand new spare lead that I tried switching with all the leads one at a time and seemed no different. I also tried arcing the leads and they all had a bright spark.

the timing light will show a miss in the spark. it should show you a consistant flash on all the wires. if not, you no you need to troubleshoot the ignition. the decarb and sync is a good plan also. CDI troubleshooting guide is a great guide to the ignition troubleshooting.

Also You can try running the engine at night with the cover removed. This is a good way to find an arcing ground wire or bad plug wire etc....

Back