Logo

Water in crankcase

firnatine

2000 BF130 (530 hrs)I've been struggling with my #1 cly fouling the plug. Yesterday I de-carbed with sea foam. The motor misses at idle. Struggles on three cyl trying to get up on plane then the #1 kicks runs fine but burning about 20% more fuel until I come off the throttle. then the process starts again. Today took the valve cover off to check valve adj. To my horror, I found the dreded cafe latte oil. Drained cleaned and put the flush kit on. Water is entering the crank case. I should say a lot of water.

Is there anything I should check before pulling the heads? I've babied this motor since new. All premium fluids and maintained to specs.

Hi,
I got interested in your question and took a look at the oil pan parts in the link below. I don't have any experience with this outboard but I think I would be highly suspicious of item #9, the water tube grommet. If you were to pull the heads and don't find a smoking gun, then the grommet and the gaskets themselves are always things to consider.

I find that in some of the older small outboards I work on that those seals often leak as the case erodes from the constant flow of water. Especially salt water...of course.

Hopefully someone else has some better advice.
Feelin' your pain,
good luck.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...F130A1 LCA /OIL PAN + EXHAUST PIPE/parts.html

Wow, that part is deep in there. I think my next step is to bore scope the #1 cylinder and take a look under the water jacket cover. I'm just hoping someone tells me about some easy to fix gasket or something else before I start a tear down.

Thanks, jgmo

The water jacket cover is a good place to start. That is where the original cracks where located in the early days of issues with this motor. The warranty for cracks in the block was extended out to 10 years. Unfortunately, you are past that now.

Have you performed compression or leakdown tests? That might help you with location of problem. I have found, the more info you can get before a teardown, can sometimes save a lot of work.

You might luck out and it is just a head gasket.

I hope it turns out to be an easy to fix gasket, but....well let's be optimistic!

Mike

OK, the shop just called. The head is shot on #3. Salt water corrosion ate across. They advise to replace the head but are having trouble finding one. Anyone have experience in fixing a head or know where to find a 2000 BF130AYAX with a low BZBE-1100000 serial number?

Back