Logo

86 140 v4 vro stalls when put in gear at quarter throttle

brodie78

good compression, fuel pump & system good, Idles fine, high idles fine. Put in gear & trolls fine, rev up to quarter throttle & dies. DOH! Help? please.

Assuming that this engine ran normally for you at one time..... How long did it sit between that last good running outing and the sudden arrival of the problem you're now encountering?

Or is this engine new to you and this problem has existed since day one?

Usually the problem you speak of is caused by restricted, fouled, clogged, high speed jets that allow enough fuel through to the other passageways (idle) but not enough for the higher rpms.

Do you have strong spark on all 4 cylinders ?--------Do throttle plates open at the correct time ?--If they open too early the motor will stall.

Holy quick replies! Awesome! It ran great out to the fishin hole (4miles) then after about an hour, bang, this occured, carbs and fuel pump look sparkling clean,

Racerone, are you saying this is link and sync issue? I have an app. with an ol marine guy as none of the shops in this town are willing to look at the engine as they say its too old for them to offer any help. Mind blowing, and I just checked for spark by turning over engine and watching the plugs and yes good spark there anyway

Last edited:
If it is a sudden failure then you might want to do a compression test again.-----Check that spark will jump a gap of 7/16" on all four.----Looking at spark on the plugs is not a good or proper ignition test,----------I know all about shops not wanting to repair older motors, see it all the time.

Also, in addition to Racerone's usual on target advice...... since this is a sudden happening, and weird things do happen, take a close good look at the linkages between the carburetors, leading to the carburetors, the linkage between the top of the vertical throttle arm and the timer base, things like that. I've seen it happen, a linkage pop out of the plastic retainer = lousy running engine!

For example..... throttle butterflies start to open... timer base hasn't moved (spark retarded)... engine falls on its face!

Thanks alot for you time guys, compression 120 all 4, Ill have a close look at all the links and stuff, gonna test driver tomoro.
Thanks again appriciate it

Carburetors jets must be " verified clean "----They also introduce the lubricating oil into the motor.------------Running with a blockage in a carburetor can lead to expensive failure.----------When you say " carbs and fuel pump look sparkling clean " do you mean clean internally ?-------Have you verified that the VRO unit is working if still in use ??------------------You can do that by running 50:1 mix in a tank and monitoring oil level in VRO tank.

Last edited:
All I can say is that the oil level in the tank dropped each trip and that the smoke indicated that it was oiling, properly? i dont know for sure. The man I bought it from said that when he switched to synthetic oil the alarm started going steady. Its a steady beeeeeep though, I thought that indicated overheating, but I disconnected one of the wires from the oil tank the alarm stopped. And yes We took apart carbs & fuel pump and found no trace of any foriegn substance.

Last edited:
Racerone, you and Joe sure are ALL over this site helping people, I hope this marine engine.com pays you guys. Where in ontario areya?

Just trying to help some folks --------No stipend of any kind.----------Sometimes folks clearly indicate that they don't like good advice.

Back