Logo

two probs with my 98 ev 6 hp

tsunami14

hi guys, i picked up a nice little 98 6hp ev and had it running really nice and now it wont even come close to starting. i don't know much about this engine but have a couple of questions:
1. where the heck is the kill switch? i see a red kill along the arm with a clip to keep it from connecting. that isn't the only one, is it?
2. i think the ev is not starting as for some reason the cogs that control the shifting from n-f-r are not moving the cable . my buddy realigned the shift cable and then i couldn't start it anymore, so i think those cogs, gears arent' working properly. when i move the shifter and am watching inside, the main plastic gears but the the cable itself .. nothing moves. i am quite certain that isn't correct , and it prob won't start because either i screwed up the kill swithc ( see above where is the little sucker) or the gear is stuck in forward of reverse and therefore the whole unit won't start.
3. and hey, what is this idle adjustment on the end of the tiller handle? buddy just read about that in our manual. we thought maybe it was a kill switch and cranked on it lol, oh for $%#^$% sakes lol.

thanks for you help guys. it is a bummer cause we just got that 6 humming and then all went silent (except for the curses lol)

Last edited:
ok here is what happened. the little cable , i should have called it a rod it connects the butterfly controller and is itself connected to that plastic roller mechanism that is impacted when the throttle is increased or decreased. put a piece of wire connecting the two and voila it works !!
the other problem is the kill switch lanyard seems to be worn and wont keep the kill switch from pulling in and doing its job. put another piece of that wire in addition to the lanyard and voila #2, it keeps the switch from slipping in and killing the engine. i ordered both parts from the shop (15 for the lanyard, 23 if you can believe it for the little connecting rod). thanks for your help, i think i have this one licked, only have to wait for the parts as i dont want to take it out with bailing wire holding er together lol

Back