Logo

23 omc cobra and bilge water

bob_pantano

"Hi, New to the board....Bough

"Hi, New to the board....Bought an 87 Bayliner this summer....Runs really well except for hard shifting out of gear - but that's for another post. Anyway....After several runs on the lake each time there were a few gallons of water in the bilge, more that normal spray....I winterized the engine and stern drive yesterday and while running the engine notice no leaks....what could be causing the water in the bilge? Hull is very sound...Thanks"

I'm gonna guess you've

I'm gonna guess you've got to get the bilge dry before you go out.This year I was purposely putting water in the forward bilge to wash down the entire bilge.
Is the water system (if you have runnning water) leaking?

Scott

"Bob...how big is this boat, i

"Bob...how big is this boat, is it a cruiser with a water system, I think that's what Scott was getting at not the cooling system itself.

Does it take on any water just sitting there or is it only when the engine is running or when engine is running and boat is moving?"

What I was getting at was ....

What I was getting at was .....does the boat have Potable Water (drinking) on board? Is the water system leaking?

"On a cobra, I'd look at t

"On a cobra, I'd look at the bellows and see if the are cracked. If the boat sat for any time they could dry out and crack. After awhile it could turn the u-joints into a rusty mess as well."

amen on the bellows. very like

amen on the bellows. very likely candidite. won't show up on flusher. remove drive and check.

"Thanks all....Everything you

"Thanks all....Everything you guys have recommended seems right on the money...Boat did sit for quite some time, so i am sure things have cracked....When the weather warms up I'll take the drive off...."

Back