Logo

Changed the plugs, but might not have the wires correct

finlander

Contributing Member
Pulled the old plugs last night, but couldnt find the gap tool. So I finished the job tonight after work. I have an 06 15 hp. What is going to happen if the wires are switched? I have a large tank that i can use to run the motor in the driveway. Rather test it at home than at the dock. Will i damage the motor? Thanks, Bruce

Hi Finlander,
You shouldn't hurt the engine if you get the wires crossed. That is a single coil I believe and, since it is a 180 degree engine, both spark plugs fire together with the spark in one cylinder being a "waste" spark. I think you'll find that the lower cylinder wire will be a little more difficult to fit on the upper cylinder spark plug so let that be your guide. The engine will run normally either way.

Hi Finlander,
You shouldn't hurt the engine if you get the wires crossed. That is a single coil I believe and, since it is a 180 degree engine, both spark plugs fire together with the spark in one cylinder being a "waste" spark. I think you'll find that the lower cylinder wire will be a little more difficult to fit on the upper cylinder spark plug so let that be your guide. The engine will run normally either way.
Just looked again and the top wire of the two is going to the top plug. I will run it at home and listen anyhows. I might adjust that screw on the side to see if it will stall again if the fuel flow is reduced. I wonder if they use more fuel as they get older?

If you're talking about the little chrome screw for idle mixture, it probably won't make much difference. All engines have a fuel consumption curve that starts a bit high when they are new, goes a little lower as they are broken in, flattens out over most of the life of the engine and then goes high again when the engine is well worn. For that engine, the difference in actual gallons consumed would be very small and almost non-discernible without some sophisticated test equipment. In other words, you probably won't notice.

Not sure if we've covered this ground before but are you routinely draining the carb bowl and item #2 in the link below?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2006/BF15D6 LRA /FUEL PUMP/parts.html

If you're talking about the little chrome screw for idle mixture, it probably won't make much difference. All engines have a fuel consumption curve that starts a bit high when they are new, goes a little lower as they are broken in, flattens out over most of the life of the engine and then goes high again when the engine is well worn. For that engine, the difference in actual gallons consumed would be very small and almost non-discernible without some sophisticated test equipment. In other words, you probably won't notice.

Not sure if we've covered this ground before but are you routinely draining the carb bowl and item #2 in the link below?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2006/BF15D6 LRA /FUEL PUMP/parts.html
That diagram won't come up on my icons but no to that question. I will look on my pc after work. And will run it before the fishing trip in the evening. Oil and lower unit fluid get changed annually.Plugs every year of two. I don't put a lot of hours on it each year.Come back to Mich, the salmon are biting!

jgmo- the lil screw I was talking of is the gold one, on the side, something the state of CA set for emission control (?) It was 'locked' in place, maybe thread prep, and had a cover over it. Fuel flow? I was going to turn it down a bit. Anyhow, motor fired right up last night, no hesitation. Prolly put 15 miles on it, both in running and trolling, used 1.5 gallons. One more question before you sleep, what tool will take or loosen and move, those thin wire hose clamps on the fuel lines?

For those hose clamps, I either use a little screwdriver to push them down, first on one side, then the other. Sort of "walking" them down the hose. Occasionally, however, I find a stubborn one and I use a small "pick" with a 90 degree tip to put in one of the little holes at the end to sort of "spin and walk" it on the hose. That and my fingers. Then again, I have some pretty tough old fingers. Those things are a PITA, if you know what I mean.

Well that was simple. I shook that separator out, did not check for water, good for another 7 years.:D I remember right after I bought this in 2006, when we had a dealer in our town, that at first it was advised to run the gas out of the motor at the end of the season, and the next time I asked I was told NOT to, things may dry out over time. Does the carb fall under that too? I have been reading other posts saying to drain before long storage.

Drain if not using the motor for a couple of weeks.----------------Just think , new carburetors do not come with fuel in them from the factory.---Those who tell you " things will dry out ' may be telling you a little white lie.

Back