Logo

advise on lower unit swap johnson 175-150

rackmaster2

The lower went out and busted housing on my j175gledb (2006)motor and have located a solid j150stlcrd (1984 model) They are diff part numbers, but housing is supposed to be the same. someone with exp told me that could be swapped out, as long as my parts were good ( something about the old one ( 1984) had a single rod going down , and mine ( 2006) had two)
I know there are some on here with lots of experience, let me know.
And Thanks in advance

J175GLEDB would be a 1996 motor for one thing.-----Not sure what you mean by 2 rods going down on either model.------------There would be a shift rod and a driveshaft , on both models !!

I am not sure either, I was just advised that one unit had 2 items " shafts or rods" going down and the other has one. I have never done any mechanic work on boat motors and that is reason I am seeking advise.

Different gearcase housings, different shift rods, different drive shafts.
Your 96 has a split drive shaft.
You may check out the parts catalogs at shop.evinrude.com or Marineengine for respective models and find the differences.

yes, he told me that mine ( 1996) had split drive shaft and diff rods, but thought they would work with the lower unit as long as my shift rods and shaft were not damaged. hoping to get an opinion on someone else that had done this.( or attempted)
but thank you for responses.

Back