Logo

Johnson 50 HP model j50plssm wont keep running

Sal

Ran fine last season.
After winter layup hard starting (flooding) . Has to start with throttle lever wide open, then runs rough.
Engine stalls when setting throttle to put into gear. (lever about halfway back when stalls)
New plugs, new gas, plenty of spark.
Can keep engine running at dock by playing with throttle lever.
Moving primer solenoid clockwise while running increases engine speed but does not solve problem
Any suggestions?

This clearly indicates a fuel problem.------I would start with cleaning the carburetors and usually there is no money to be spent doing this.------------Never done a carburetor before ?------------Search U-TUBE for tutorials on how to do this.---------Once carburetors are established to be clean , then you may look for other problems.

This clearly indicates a fuel problem.------I would start with cleaning the carburetors and usually there is no money to be spent doing this.------------Never done a carburetor before ?------------Search U-TUBE for tutorials on how to do this.---------Once carburetors are established to be clean , then you may look for other problems.

Good info,
Thank you racerone,
I will clean the carbs and try it again.

In a pinch try tapping on the carbs with a cresent wrench while it is running it could be a float stuck open. When you prime it does the bulb get hard if not tap on the carb/s and see if it gets hard. One way to clean the carbs is run the engine out of fuel and then with the primer bulb pump the carbs full of seafoam and let sit overnight. The next day hook it up to the fuel tank and start it and run it around 2500 rpm until the smoke clears and see how it idles. If that dont work the carbs need cleaned or rebuilt. If your just going to clean the carb at least put new a needle and seat for the float while you have it apart.

Thank you Kimcrwbr1,
I'also give it a try.
If I get lucky with the tapping that will be great.
Schedule did not allow working on the engine today.
again thanks

Sal

Back