Logo

1957 Evinrude 18 Idle Stop Screw???

JR Womack

Greetings, I'm having some difficulty in understanding the function of the idle stop screw. The part number is 304753 and it is threaded into the throttle control gear with a spring. It's a nylon screw with a metal core. If it is to simply keep the throttle from closing past idle, I would understand completely. However when it is set, wouldn't it keep the throttle handle and linkage from moving to the stop position?

The motor is not running and is under restoration, so I can't test the functionality of this gizmo. Just thought I'd throw this question out there for comments. Thank you in advance for your responses.

For electric start models...so when you pull the remote throttle back, the motor doesn't stop. Instead, you shut it off with the key. Or, on my 1958 18 hp, manual start, you push the 'stop' button on the motor.

For electric start models...so when you pull the remote throttle back, the motor doesn't stop. Instead, you shut it off with the key. Or, on my 1958 18 hp, manual start, you push the 'stop' button on the motor.

Thank you for your response, it certainly makes sense. I have a model 15020 pull-start and a model 15922 electric-start, which is the one currently under restoration. Oddly, that particular part is on the parts listing for both motors.

If I understood you, I shouldn't even use the stop screw on the pull-start engine since it has no stop button and the only stop noted is on the steering handle by turning it far clockwise.

But regarding the electric start engine, my cowling for the electric start doesn't have a stop button, maybe that was added in 1958. The harness connector at the front of the lower pan has three pins. One is ground, one is positive to the starter, and the third is positive to the choke solenoid. There seems to be no facility for a kill circuit in the parts list.

I looked at the parts list for the 1958 junction box and there was no key switch or stop button there either. Just start and choke push button switches.

So, for my application I guess I need to leave the idle stop screw off of both motors. I assume I must resort to "feeling" for the idle position and stopping the engine with the steering handle grip.

It's just curious that the idle stop* screw is on the parts list for both in 1957.

Thanks again, this is my first restoration and your advice is appreciated.

I just looked at the parts listings for both the '58 and '57 motors. It seems strange that there is no "kill" switch for the '57. The 58's had a key switch on the electric starts, and a stop button on the manual starts. Hmmm, sounds like someone at the factory figured out that they forgot something on the 57's.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your advice. Absence of a kill switch in the design is strange indeed. I guess using the choke wouldn't be too bad. A little choke from idle speed should be okay and maybe a little "prime" might even enhance the next start. Thanks again

DSCN2475.JPGThis is what the throttle indicator looked like on motors not equipped with a kill switch. Stopping was achieved by simply turning the twist grip to the "stop" position. I dont believe that using the choke to stop the motor was ever recommended. Motors with a kill switch do not have the "stop" position and the idle stop screw prevents you from accidentally closing the throttle and stalling the motor.

Yep, after considering the issue and doing a little research, I think adding a kill switch is the best solution.
Is it the recommendation to add the two wires from the switch to each of the breaker point screws where the condensers attach? Shorting them together was the recommendation if I understood correctly. The other option would be to run three wires to the switch taking the condenser leads to ground. I prefer the KISS solution however.

Well, darn, it's funny what you find out when you read the fine print. It seems my confusion over how to use the idle stop screw on the '57 18hp has been answered. At least for the electric-start. Inside the cowling I stumbled upon a factory decal with the operating instructions on it. They state, that to stop the motor you press the electric choke button. So, I guess I can set the idle screw to idle. Now I'll go and see if my yet to be restored manual-start has some helpful hints hidden inside the cowling. "When all else fails, read the instructions"

Bill, you were SPOT-ON. I'm going to amend my statement above to read: "When all else fails, read the instructions---or simply ask Bill" :p
Thanks for your insight and intuition.

Back