Logo

1998 Johnson Ocean Runner 225 HP

psmith2977

Hello to all, am having a very difficult time with my 225 Johnson, starts right up. Idles fine, ,REVs fine when not enguaged, when the motor is put into forward it won't accel. Have replaced Fuel & VRO2 Pump. Trigger and Power modual, new spark Plugs, stator and Reg test good, 110 -105 PSI on all cylinders, Flywheel mags are all in the right place and secure.Could this be related to faulty reeds or something else, thanks Paul.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply, it does not die when put into gear, will begin to accell up to 1300-1400 RPM then boggs , if you continue to throttle up it will die. boat is on a trailer in the water at the dock. restarts fine idles fine revs up fine not in gear. cked the bottom end it is not locked and turns freely.

since I posted the first I have pulled the reed cages and all the reeds are bowed in the middle to the point that in the dark when a lite is shined into them from the incoming side lite shines all around the reed except the tip and the bottom. clearence is about .004" on the sides on average

With the engine off, have someone advance the throttle while you look at the trigger. Make sure it does not stick and advances . Also just to be sure , if you have a temporary external fuel tank hook it up and see if you now have RPM'S '' to rule out a sticky anti siphon valve or fuel filter.

thanks , have already cked the trigger movement,free as a bird. have a glass inline fuel filter and a transfer booster pump, glass filter stays full. Noted a bit ago that the port side plugs are damp and the starboard side plugs are dry, these are new plugs today. Thanks Paul

I know this is late...... but check the ground wire from the battery.... see if it has turned to dust..... the entire system will act like its about to fall apart

thanks , have already cked the trigger movement,free as a bird. have a glass inline fuel filter and a transfer booster pump, glass filter stays full. Noted a bit ago that the port side plugs are damp and the starboard side plugs are dry, these are new plugs today. Thanks Paul

I have two 98 johnson 225 ocean runner on my mako and one of the motor was recently rebuilt and it was doing the same thing after rebuilt and it was the timer base. Check that

Do you mean it stalls when put into gear ?

I have a 1998 225 ocean pro that stalls when I put it in gear. I've changed the vro fuel pump, and added a in-line fuel pump, yet still stalls when put in gear. Sometimes pumping choke works. Only when on the water! Hose running never stalls. Please help.

I have a 1998 225 ocean pro that stalls when I put it in gear. I've changed the vro fuel pump, and added a in-line fuel pump, yet still stalls when put in gear. Sometimes pumping choke works. Only when on the water! Hose running never stalls. Please help

Back