Logo

1951 Johnson TN27 Motor

Gus Almighty

I just picked this motor up today for a low cost. Evidently this motor was worked on at a Marina in 2006 which costed about 450 bucks. Part of the process involved a break in period.

My question is, what was most likely done to the motor at that cost and requiring a break in period?

I am trying to get this motor running, I can get it going but its running rough and Im not sure how to make the proper adjustments to make it run smoothly.

Can anyone offer any advice on this?

I tested as much as I could out of a gas can full of water. I had to put it in the water to see where I was at. After getting it in the water, I had a hell of a time getting it to start. I actually gave up and used the oars for a bit while I was discouraged.

I went back to it and readjusted the settings and was able to get it to start. Once I got it started, I was able to figure out how to adjust the lean. After that, I was able to get it to start on the first pull every time after it was warmed up.

Its a hell of a motor, I was surprised at how well it operated once I was able to get it up and moving.

Back