Logo

More issues with 25 Hp Evinrude idle

NaymzJaymz

Contributing Member
I recently started a thread about my 1980 Evinrude 25 HP motor with tiller steering and recieved some great advice fron kimcrwbr1. I hope I'm not breaking the rules by starting a new thread. To this point here's the "story". I got the motor cheap and it has 110 psi compression on both cylinders. The spark jumps 1/2 inch easy. After lubing the cylnders it fired up effortlessly and flat out rips at WOT. The problem is that it won't idle at low rpm at the shifting speed. I can still put in gear by going as low as possible, putting it in gear, and quickly gunning the throttle. The motor has tremendous punch, but at low rpm it shudders and runs rough. A Youtube video suggests that maybe one of the coils isn't firing consistently. I followed kimcrwbr1's advice and seated the mixture screw and turned it out 1 1/2 turns, but it doesn't seem to matter where the mixture screw is. I've adjusted it all through it's range. Is there an external throttle adlusment? I've watched several vids and the motors all idle so much better than mine. The pee stream is perfect and immediate. The fuel/oil mix is just a bit rich for this first gallon. Could this play a part? I suspect not. Anyway, sorry to be a nag about all this, but I've got to figure this out. Should I just accept some of these traits for this motor? Thanks everyone, especially kimcrwbr1. You rock!

Back