Logo

1962 Evinrude 5.5 Fisherman-how to take off powerhead

HenryVG

Hi Folks!
The title says it all. I'm not getting the water flow I used to out of this engine, so I want to replace the pump impeller. But I have to take off the powerhead to get to the shift lever attachment. Anybody got a set of steps for me to take so I don't screw this up? If it makes any difference, it's a long shaft model.

Thanks.

There realy is not much to it.--Remove the screws that hold the powerhead on ( 7 screws I think ) , then some hoses.--------Carburetor linkages as well.-----------Take your time and it will be worth it.----These motors in good condition are a delight to run.

I might suggest a new gasket and thermostat. Thermostats are shot on over half of these I work on.....even being freshwater Minnesota motors. Gasket is available from Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN 218 682 2331. Thermostats right here. Note: If the head gasket hasn't been replaced, I also recommend a new one.....the new gaskets are improved over the original.....so it will last even longer. Be sure to face head using 180 to 240 grit wet/dry paper laid down on the "pool table" like surface, such as a thick piece of glass. Use some lightly soapy water and once flattened, finish with a "figure 8" pattern. Use a LIGHT coat of nickel anti-seize on your cleaned head bolt and powerhead mounting threads. Why? The original zinc coating, when the factory assembled the motor, is long gone off those bolts. Once removed, they will rust into place unless you replace that protection. If gasoline is still around in about 30 years.....this motor will still be running, you can call me for replacement parts......if I'm still around.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210226-123057.jpg
    Screenshot_20210226-123057.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back