Logo

1996 Johnson 88 spl tilt/trim issue

shady acres

Hello everyone, I am a newbie here and a rookie with watercraft. I have a 88hp that was working fine, on Sunday evening as we pulled into the dock, we were not able to raise the motor via power tilt. It will operate down but not up. Can anyone assist me in how to raise the motor and maybe some suggestions on what might be the issue, its has worked flawlessly until then. Thanks

you didnt say but i assume its failing both from the control arm and the motor switches....the control box is mounted under the cowl and to the rear of the motor....remove the cover(i think 4 screws) and swap the relays and see if it fails going down....if so replace both relays...they are cheap...

you didnt say but i assume its failing both from the control arm and the motor switches....the control box is mounted under the cowl and to the rear of the motor....remove the cover(i think 4 screws) and swap the relays and see if it fails going down....if so replace both relays...they are cheap...
Yes you are correct, it fails from both, you mention 2 relays where would they be located, in this cover area? I do not have a repair manual yet so I apoligize for ignorance.

remove the cowl and look at the very back of the motor compartment....there is a square assembly with i think 4 screws holding the cover on....under there will be 2 identical black relays.....they are square and probably black...

Success; Thanks for the input. Now need to figure if have the right prop on the boat, has a 14x17 prop pushing a 96 Glastron GS160,(aprox weight 1100) get about 35MPH at WOT 6000 rpm.

Back