Logo

1994 Evinrude - VRO Test

Rare that the VRO is adding too much oil.------------What is your motor doing that makes you suspect too much oil ?

The VRO can add too much oil if the fuel supply contains air bubbles. Check for an air leak in the fuel line between the fuel tank and VRO pump.

As for testing the ratio, there is a procedure in the manual that includes indexing off a piece of hose, filling it with oil, and measuring how long it takes to exhaust a certain amount of oil. The procedure I use (continuously) is to mark off the oil bottle in 1 pint increments. 1 pint of oil should mix with 6 gallons of gas. When I fill up with gas, I note how much I put in, divide by 6, and compare to the number of marks down the oil bottle is. Note that the newer VRO pumps don't have much variation to the ratio, so this works. If anyone still has an early pump, you may use less oil since the mix will lean out at lower speeds. 1994 should be a fairly constant ratio.

racerone it smokes like hell when started and when it warms up it still seems to smoke too much. And, it seems to foul up when turnedon and off with short drifting runs while fishing. Does not like to restart.
dcramer marking the oil bottle is an excellent idea, I will do that. How would you check for air leaks in the fuel line?
Thanks

Last edited:
The way to check for air leaks is to temporarily add a small loop of clear hose between the VRO fuel input (middle bottom) and the permanent fuel line. You'll see bubbles in the line if there is an air leak.

Back