Logo

Thoughts on BF250

I have sold nine units. As with most Honda poducts it is of high quality. Performance is average for a four stroke 250 hp. A little heavy compared to brand Y. Fuel consumption will vary greatly. I would expect 21-23 gallons of consmption at WOT. The real benifit comes in the form of the limited warranty and the cost of replacment parts. Thanks Martin

Question for both of you - is the 250 just a beefed up version of the 225, based on the Honda J35A3 engine, or does it have a different block? If it is a beefed up J35, what did they do to get the extra horsepower?

I have sold nine units. As with most Honda poducts it is of high quality. Performance is average for a four stroke 250 hp. A little heavy compared to brand Y. Fuel consumption will vary greatly. I would expect 21-23 gallons of consmption at WOT. The real benifit comes in the form of the limited warranty and the cost of replacment parts. Thanks Martin

I currently have a 06 BF150 with the digital guages. Do you know if my existing rigging will work with the 250? I looked around a bit and it appears that it will hook right up but I could be missing something. Also, do you know if my existing transom mounting holes would line up with the 250 holes?

Question for both of you - is the 250 just a beefed up version of the 225, based on the Honda J35A3 engine, or does it have a different block? If it is a beefed up J35, what did they do to get the extra horsepower?

I'm not real sure. But it appears to be a completely new design. I know for sure the lower unit is different.

I can't speak for the the J35A3 engine because I am not up to speed wih the automotive side. Howerver Honda has instituted several changes since mid year 2010. Most noticeable is the exterior of the crankcase and the large replacable anodes. Also changes to the ECM and O2 sensor. The 250 is still a 3.5" bore however a longer stroke, and higher lift cam. I am uncertain about the duration. The Gearcase is all new with a 2.00 to 1.00 ratio and able to fit a 16" diameter propeller. New cowling with mome air intake and a higher rpm range. Thanks Martin

Glad to hear they re-worked the lower end - it's about time. From description above, sounds like they may have used a different block. I'll try to find out and let y'all know.

It's a new block..

Copied this from Boating magazine.
The BF250 is designed to be a heavy-haul workhorse with its new gearcase design that has a 10 percent larger gear wheel. This allows the Honda to feature a 2:1 gear ratio, which is shorter than all other 250s on the market except the Suzuki DF250. The engine’s gear ratio allows it to swing a larger-diameter 16-inch prop, giving it more thrust to push heavier boats with ease. Despite the larger gear wheel, Honda managed to reduce the drag coefficient of the lower unit by 5 percent for better fuel economy and higher speeds.
The all-new block is 3.6L, which allows it to produce 250 hp without breaking a sweat. Although the two motors aren’t related, by comparison, the Honda IndyCar engine is slightly smaller at 3.5L while cranking out 650 hp. Many Honda engines in the larger power range are marinized auto engines, and the 3.6L follows suit but steps up in class. The BF225 is basically an Odyssey minivan engine, while the new BF250 is derived from Honda’s Acura line of luxury cars. It even runs on regular 86 octane gas rather than premium.

http://www.boatingworld.com/Engines/Article/Mondo-Honda

Reedville - thanks for the info. Sounds interesting. Don't plan to re-engine any time soon, but that would be ideal for my old C-Hawk.

BTW - Have the Spanish Mac's gotten up your way yet? Trolled all over the Middle Grounds yesterday, but no joy - just a few blues.

Bit the bullet and put a new 250 on. 100 more hp is just what I needed! Honda guage is showing 4mpg at cruise!

dd2c7b94.jpg

NICE !!!!!! What rpm's were you turning at "cruise" and getting that 4 MPG?

Is the lower lend quieter than the standard 200/225?

Between 3200-3800rpms it's showing right around 4mpg. Total weight of my boat w/o people is right at 5,000lbs.

Not sure about the lower unit being quieter. I've never had a 200 or 225, only a 150. Overall it is much quieter than my 150! Mainly because of reduced RPM's i would guess.

89c95e53.jpg

That is very, very nice. I can't cruise much lower than 4200 rpm on my 6000 lb (loaded) C-Hawk, and that only gets me 3.1 MPG. Did you get the engine from Whelan's, or is there another dealer down your way?

I would have liked to deal with Whelan's but they only service Honda's and don't sell them. Same goes with Jett's here in Reedville. I got it from Ed's marine in Ashland. $17,900 installed. Hoping to get 5-6k for my 150. Have it listed on eBay now.

Back