Logo

2005 90 Johnson throttle issues? help please....

redfish12

Hi all, I bought the boat 1 month a ago and looks brand new..used very little, this I'm sure. Took it out, wouldn't throttle up to full power. In fact I would move the throttle and there would be a delay maybe 4-5 seconds and the boom it's where it should be but again a delay.

Took it out yesterday throttle all the way forward...I'm clocking about 5 mph thats all I could get .. Take it home. I start it up and push the little button on the shifter column which allows me to rev the motor some... it revs real good. Now wont go into gear?? I am mechanically pretty good but I am new to boats ( and extremely frustrated) any suggestions? Thanks!!

Well if it is a carburated model, then the delay is not unusual. You won't get instant throttle response, especially if the engine is not propped right. Check the linkage. Remove the cable and move it by hand. Does it move fully to the stop and do the throttle valves open? Next run it on the water. Be careful! You need to be at the back of the boat and watch the throttle when it is actuated with the cable. Does it move like it did when you did it by hand? Are the plates synched? Is this a four stroke or a two stroke? You didn't give much info.

Revving and engine out of gear proves absolutely nothing. Bring the lever back to neutral. The button should pop out and you should be able to engage a gear.

Back