Logo

'94 120 johnson starts then shuts down after put in gear..help?

4motion

Same guy here with the bent prop questions: anyways now that the prop is slightly bent, I decide to take it out then just use the trolling motor but when I launch and use the main motor, it would start for couple sec. then turns off,, and when it starts again it would shut down right after i shift into gear..forward or backwards. After 4-5 times it finally starts normally. Now, can this be because the gas ball is not pumped hard enough? I didn't check when that happened but was thinking that could be the case? Please let me know. thanks.

Ok... it "starts" normally after 4 to 5 minutes. Does that mean then that you can put it in gear at that time, or does it do the same thing?

Ok... it "starts" normally after 4 to 5 minutes. Does that mean then that you can put it in gear at that time, or does it do the same thing?

Thanks for the reply: after 4 or 5 times trying to start...then it actually start going even in gear...didn't go far, maybe 20 yds then I decided to use the trolling motor since the fishing spot starts there. and also I didn't want to ruined the LU because of previous incidents: prop and skeg got tangled by an anchor rope and motor hole was steaming smoke or cloudy air AND I also hit a rock a week after that and slightly bent my prop...and skeg (5-10 degree to the left).

well i think its the gas ball not pumped hard enough. It did that yesterday and I pumped it and it was fine...unless other issues happened that i don't know about.

Back