Logo

Very Stiff Steering

SOAPSTONEARTIST

I'm still getting my boat ready for this summer, we still have plenty of floating ice pans around so I'm not too early, and I noticed my steering very stiff to turn.
I greased up the tilt tube and the grease nipple in the turning tube on the motor. I took the steering cable off (out of the tube attached to the motor) and cleaned it all up. There was plenty of old dried up grease that took a while to get out. No matter what I tried to lubricate, the steering just never loosened up enough that my co-pilot (Sarah) could turn the engine. The engine itself was well greased and could "spin on a dime"
My conclusion was I had to replace the entire steering cable. I measured on the boat and concluded it was a 14' cable that I needed. I read on here that I should look for numbers stamped on the cable. I'm sure glad I looked for those numbers because as it turns out this is a 16' cable. I would have been beyond angry IF I had ordered the wrong cable!
It just goes to show you that reading this forum certainly can save you time, money and making silly mistakes.
THANK YOU for this forum.
Sincerely
Robert

Well since this seems like a thank you thread...
I was all set/convinced after buying my fixer-upper, that I simply would need a new engine.
I started saving, and am currently at about $10K in the new engine fund.
I learned so much here, that I bought a second mid 70's Evinrude.
The first engine is now on season 4 with little hope dying on me. I will have to find a use for that $10K.
MANY thanks to all the knowledgeable posters here. Priceless as the credit card commercial goes!

Back